• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

passport

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

passport

I don't think we've covered covers before...

The agent would like:

Where the document provided is a passport, we are required to obtain copies of:-
    * the front cover of the passport –AND--
    * all pages containing personal details (photo page and pages showing date of birth and the passport’s expiry date) –AND—
    * all pages bearing UK Government endorsements (visa stamps / stickers), including previous endorsements.

Whit! - What's the copies of my visa stamp got to do with my identity?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

If you need a visa to work here, it will be stamped on your passport. So the absence of one shows that either you are allowed to work here or that you are not allowed to work here. Simple.

The agent should also be aware that (a) copies of a passport are of no value as proof of identity unless they are being held in the hands of the passport holder and (b) if you are opted out they don't need to see it anyway, YourCo (or your umbrella) can assert sufficient proof of id and residency and right to work.

Or you could claim not to have a passport. That usually confuses them ...

Send them a two-colour copy and forget it. It's really not worth the hassle any more.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Point them in the direction of Baroness Scotland. I have never been asked for any such paperwork, whether working in the UK or other countries. Surely a letter from your Ltd. should suffice as at the end of the day, they're the one who is employing you?
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        I don't think we've covered covers before...

The agent would like:

Where the document provided is a passport, we are required to obtain copies of:-
        * the front cover of the passport –AND--
        * all pages containing personal details (photo page and pages showing date of birth and the passport’s expiry date) –AND—
        * all pages bearing UK Government endorsements (visa stamps / stickers), including previous endorsements.

Whit! - What's the copies of my visa stamp got to do with my identity?
        I've provided my passport to an agency for their records. Allegedly, they needed in case the client (a bank) performed an audit to see if the contractor is eligible to work in the UK. I don't think a letter stating the bleeding obvious was adequate.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

This is now the norm. Even permies have to do it retrospectively to make sure the companies ass is covered. Your gonna have to do this a lot more from now on and to be honest in the end its good for us. Time to stop bitching and just do it for a change.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            This is now the norm. Even permies have to do it retrospectively to make sure the companies ass is covered. Your gonna have to do this a lot more from now on and to be honest in the end its good for us. Time to stop bitching and just do it for a change.
            But I like bitching so much...
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Or you could claim not to have a passport. That usually confuses them ...
              I don't have a passport, and I can confirm that it confuses them an awful lot

They usually end up accepting a black-and-white scan of my expired one, just so they can tick a box somewhere.

One lot suggested my NI number card - I had to point out that they started issuing those a number of years after I was first given my NI number, so I've never had one

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                I don't have a passport, and I can confirm that it confuses them an awful lot

They usually end up accepting a black-and-white scan of my expired one, just so they can tick a box somewhere.

One lot suggested my NI number card - I had to point out that they started issuing those a number of years after I was first given my NI number, so I've never had one
                Neither have I, and what's more, I didn't even know that they existed

tim

Comment

Im ****ed then! My passport expired years ago!
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

No passport here either, ever since I moved over from Egypt and opened a corner shop in knightsbridge - I remain hopeful one day my application shall be successful.

Comment

Working...
                    X