• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

War chests

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Turion View Post
    No he does not. 1300/month is about the take home of a parking attendant. His 'core costs' take up 75% of this meagre amount. In fact his total weekly discretionary income would not even buy a decent meal for two with wine in a high street restaurant.

He lives a p1ss poor misers lifestyle. Yet he purports to be worth over 500/day.

Just imagine trying to get this guy to buy his round in the pub. Then again, he probably always drinks alone, at home, where he belongs.
    £80 a head buys you a perfectly nice meal in the West End.

I live a nice lifestyle. I live in a lovely grade 2 listed conversion and have whatever I need/want. Your market worth is not a function of your outgoings although clearly there is a relationship in the other direction. When I signed my last contract my worth was £650pd to one client (perhaps only 1 but that's enough). Now my maket value is zero. My outgoings are irrelevant to that.

And I'm more than generous to my friends (sometimes to the point of being a bit of a mug) so **** off.

The simple truth is that if you don't allow women in to your life then the costs are very easy to contain.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      Why do people try and out do each other by trying to suggest they have a bigger 'war chest' than the next person?

So ******* what?
      I agree and that was never my intention.

So long as we all make it through this difficult time - that's the main thing. You're not defined by your financial position.

Comment

Last edited by KentPhilip; 17 July 2009, 14:49.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Why do people try and out do each other by trying to suggest they have a bigger 'war chest' than the next person?

So ******* what?

WHS+ take the example of HoT. He claims to have built up a large stash - but what for? Apart from that he seems to have nothing, anddo nothing apart from existing to increase this so call 'war chest'.

Even if he earnt nothing more ever, never got any interest, no pension, no nothing, that amount would last 20 years at that rate of spend.

HoT, congrats on having such a sum set aside, but that does not exempt you from being a saddo.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadOfTesting View Post
            £80 a head buys you a perfectly nice meal in the West End.

The simple truth is that if you don't allow women in to your life then the costs are very easy to contain.

F off, I'm talking about ordinary high street restaurant meal for 2 (like when a bloke pays for his bird).

And £80 is way more than your weekly discretionary spend (300/month if you do the math) The only time you get an 80 quid meal is if the client of agent pays for it.

As for women - do any of the birds on this board want a date with this guy. Be warned, he'll take you to Pizza hut, ask that you 'go halves' on the bill (cos equality norms demands it ) and when you get your money out, he'll whip out his 2 for the price of one voucher
            Last edited by Turion; 16 July 2009, 18:57. Reason: Then have the last laugh and bat him with that empty bottle of wine

Comment

WHS+ take the example of HoT. He claims to have built up a large stash - but what for? Apart from that he seems to have nothing, anddo nothing apart from existing to increase this so call 'war chest'.

Even if he earnt nothing more ever, never got any interest, no pension, no nothing, that amount would last 20 years at that rate of spend.

HoT, congrats on having such a sum set aside, but that does not exempt you from being a saddo.
              I am (was) saving to buy a place for cash because I prefer that to having a mortgage. Is that ok with you? I should have double that amount but I've made bad decisions over the years for which I take responsibilty.

I have and do plenty and do not exist to bolster my war chest - a term that had never entered my head prior to seeing it on here some weeks ago.

I've just turned 33 so it's too early to think in terms of burning down those reserves.

I'm confident I'm not a saddo but in any event I don't particularly care what people think of me. Perhaps that's a factor too as it means I'm not trying to keep up with the neighbours.

Comment

Don't drink
                Don't smoke
                Don't drive (at the moment)
                Don't have wife/kids
                Live in a 1 bed and get single person's discount (£1000pa)
                I am saving for retirement/future (when earning)
                I do save to cover bench time (when earning)
                No debts
                I rarely buy clothes
                My car was 9yrs old when it got scrapped last summer

I acknowledge that I have an uncomplicated life
                In the extreme. Seriously, your life is extreme. That's not a criticism, but it is not for the many. It's interesting to see how low one's outgoings could be in such a case, but it's not very practical.

Comment

F off, I'm talking about ordinary high street restaurant meal for 2 (like when a bloke pays for his bird).

And £80 is way more than your weekly discretionary spend (300/month if you do the math) The only time you get an 80 quid meal is if the client of agent pays for it.

As for women - do any of the birds on this board want a date with this guy. Be warned, he'll take you to Pizza hut, ask that you 'go halves' on the bill (cos equality norms demands it ) and when you get your money out, he'll whip out his 2 for the price of one voucher
                  You said that £300 wouldn't buy a meal for two on the high st. that's 150+ a head. Fine if it's worth that to you - I'm saying £80 is normally enough for me. What's there to argue over? I don't spend time with agents I'm pleased to say.

I don't spend £80 everytime - and as I said - I often spend more that £300 on discretionary stuff. Oh and 80 * 4 is hardly "way more" than 300 a month - maybe you should 'do the math' again.

I endure pizza hut when visiting the god children cos they love it but would never go to a dump like that out of choice. And I certainly don't expect a woman to contribute to the cost of a meal or produce vouchers.

Comment

You said that £300 wouldn't buy a meal for two on the high st. that's 150+ a head. Fine if it's worth that to you - I'm saying £80 is normally enough for me. What's there to argue over? I don't spend time with agents I'm pleased to say.

I don't spend £80 everytime - and as I said - I often spend more that £300 on discretionary stuff. Oh and 80 * 4 is hardly "way more" than 300 a month - maybe you should 'do the math' again.

I endure pizza hut when visiting the god children cos they love it but would never go to a dump like that out of choice. And I certainly don't expect a woman to contribute to the cost of a meal or produce vouchers.
                    do the maths

Sorry. Gets my goat.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                      In the extreme. Seriously, your life is extreme. That's not a criticism, but it is not for the many. It's interesting to see how low one's outgoings could be in such a case, but it's not very practical.
                      I know lots of people in a similar situation to myself but it may well be extreme.

I'm not criticising/judging the choices or circumstances of others - each to their own.

Comment

Working...
                      X