• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lloyds cutting rates by another 10% today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
    2001 the golden year

Still got the same old skills?????
    No. I now have a bunch more experience, training and qualifications.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
      Deal with it - hmmm. You say don't accept tea-boy rates but that competition is everywhere.

Bit of a contradiction, no? I will deal with it but you have to be realistic. The traditional contracting model is looking a bit dated nowadays. Just skilling up won't be the answer.

I reckon you may be in for a shock when you are up for renewal my friend!
      From which job????

I have contracted through 2 recessions now and I am still hearing the same shizzel my friend. You want to be protected and it is not going to happen.

Get with the programme.

And believe me skilling up is the ONLY answer.

Well that or the Pig Farming!!!!!!!!
      Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        No. I now have a bunch more experience, training and qualifications.
        Are you doing a different job? or the same job 8 years on???

Be honest now....

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Are you doing a different job? or the same job 8 years on???

Be honest now....
          I was running a development team of eight and undertaking the supplier management.

I am now running COTS implementation projects using matrix management.

Why?
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I have also contracted through 2 recessions. I have always found work. I am constantly skilling up. I am not asking for protection.

Rates are going downwards though, no matter what you claim. Can't see them coming back much either.

Pig farming? Not for me.

Comment

I am not suggesting for one minute that things are getting easier, nor that things aren't bloody hard at the moment. What I am saying is that things change.

If we were on to a good think in 2001 then did we think for one second that things would remain so forever, with few people in the market and lots of money sloshing around for everyone.

No I said think not HOPE.

What I am saying is that these changes are bringing more and more opportunities, in terms of how we do business.

Bring on Change and give me the good luck to identify the opportunities and squeeze out every last drop of money juice

AMEN

Comment

I was running a development team of eight and undertaking the supplier management.

I am now running COTS implementation projects using matrix management.

Why?
                Yep same job. Most people call that project manager. Keep it up

Comment

Yep same job. Most people call that project manager. Keep it up
                  Huh? The first was Development Manager, not project manager. That's a quite different job.

Did you get pissed at lunchtime? Because you've been acting like an arsehole all afternoon but prior to lunchtime you were always fine.

Have some strong coffee or go home early.

Comment

Huh? The first was Development Manager, not project manager. That's a quite different job.

Did you get pissed at lunchtime? Because you've been acting like an arsehole all afternoon but prior to lunchtime you were always fine.

Have some strong coffee or go home early.
                    Busted

Comment

Originally posted by Soled73 View Post
                      Lloyds Banking Group (aka HBOS, Halifax plc etc) will be cutting IT contractor rates across the board by another 10%.

Communication will be posted tomorrow to all agencies. I understand it's another accept or leave ultimatum.

This follows on from a similar 10% blanket cut approx 12 months ago.

******* hell...

The bank I contract for has been cutting the rate twice last year. Once by 10% (before I joined), a second time by 5%.
                      It was take it or leave it.

When my contract comes to renewal in September I'll to be put back to the rate I've been originally hired.
                      It will be take it or leave it.

Comment

Working...
                      X