• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jumping through hoops to get a job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping through hoops to get a job

Just filled in a bleedin massive "application form" from an agent. Seems like the gig is real so have reluctantly stuck down 2 references (shiver goes down spine!) Then noticed this at the bottom of the page....

"XXXXXXX wishes to ensure that rates are competitive and in line with market trends Therefore rates are reviewed on a monthly basis and will be set in line with statistics available at the time of offer. Current rate is quoted on the job specification. Rates will be re-quoted at date of offer"

Anyone have views on whether the rates will better or worse than they are quoting now?
    Monthly rate reviews?????? Seems dodgier by the minute
    Last edited by Sausage Surprise; 11 June 2009, 09:53.
    Blood in your poo

works both ways sausage, just see it as a monthly rolling contract you can quit any time you want to.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      works both ways sausage, just see it as a monthly rolling contract you can quit any time you want to.
      Aye, good point. My main concern was accepting on terms that would enable me to work away and do the job, then finding them lopping £50 a day from the following month which wouldn't make the job viable.
      Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
        Aye, good point. My main concern was accepting on terms that would enable me to work away and do the job, then finding them lopping £50 a day from the following month which wouldn't make the job viable.
        Put a lower limit in the contract; clientco may vary the rate within a range of +/-n%

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
          Put a lower limit in the contract; clientco may vary the rate within a range of +/-n%
          Worth a try but the test management market has been obliterated so I would suggest that the bargaining position is somewhere been extremely weak and non-existent.

Sounds like a case of take it on and invoke the family tragedy clause if the terms move to the point where they're no longer viable/acceptable and the notice clause is not sufficient.

Next week I'll have been benched for 6 whole months. That said, I'm consistently getting between 1 or 2 calls a day over the last couple of weeks. None of them have been progressable but there has been an uptick in activity. I'm still extremely bearish though.

HeadOfTesting

Comment

Just filled in a bleedin massive "application form" from an agent. Seems like the gig is real so have reluctantly stuck down 2 references

Time must be deperate to fall for this one. Of course the agent makes the gig look real. That's the bait and you've been hooked.

Since when did contracts require application forms and references? Never known it in 10 years. The form is just cover to get leads.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post

Time must be deperate to fall for this one. Of course the agent makes the gig look real. That's the bait and you've been hooked.

Since when did contracts require application forms and references? Never known it in 10 years. The form is just cover to get leads.
              WHS. It's usually what's on the CV that counts, not who you worked for previously
              The close proximity of the letters 'G' and 'T' are the reason I'll never again send an important email and end it with "Regards" ....

Comment

Seems like the gig is real so have reluctantly stuck down 2 references (shiver goes down spine!)
                Give first ref, a real 'low value' name - your colleague at previous gig. Second ref, a fake name with wrong email address of your previous gig and your mate's mobile #. You can always say, if the agent comes back, that second ref's email address changed slightly and can give a real one, if the feedback from ref #1 is normal. Lying to an agent some times works wonders!

Comment

Have to agree with the others, sounds like the normal agency bulltulip formalised into a lengthy form to make it look more legit. If you are desperate go ahead as you have nothing really to lose, just don't give any high value references that you might need down the road

Though like their "honesty" in admitting to what all agents do, advertise one rate and try to change it to something lower once job is offered (always blaming the client of course). And yes it will be lower, only once ever had a agent increase the rate from advertised

As to the monthly rate evaluations, LMAO*

Comment

"XXXXXXX wishes to ensure that rates are competitive and in line with market trends Therefore rates are reviewed on a monthly basis and will be set in line with statistics available at the time of offer. Current rate is quoted on the job specification. Rates will be re-quoted at date of offer"

That simply means to me that once a month, they set the rates for various roles by checking the market statistics. At the time of an offer, they'll tell you the current rate which may differ from that in the advert*. That rate will then be the daily/hourly rate for the duration of the contract.

There's nothing to indicate that the rate varies within the contract period. I think you're reading something into it that isn't there.

*The reason for doing this, is so they can advertise at £500 a day, and then offer it to you at £300 a day.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X