• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rates and Margins in these times..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shanti View Post
    We don't have a choice, do we.. most of the time you lot are dinging each other to get on a PSL - the poor bod candidate who is actually doing the work is never given a chance to communicate with the clientco without going through the clogged up competitive meat market rat race agency channels.

Kinda typical of this country, there is this wide-boy middle layer in the way of everything here, estate-agents mentality trading wheelers and dealers with no moral compass (in the IT recruitment - most of these people are unable to distinguish a computer from a biscuit tin). Reminds me of the tabloid press mentality that seems to gain the UK an international reputation for immaturity.

I think it speaks to that fact that we have limited opportunities, but large amounts of aspiring technical talent - and thus this 'middle layer' can unaccountably thrive on the back of the few technical talented people - until they have sapped them of their skills.
    Some of your sentiment I agree with, but PSL's exist because ClientCos choose this model, not the agencies.

I've worked at a clientco with a list of 5 PSLs including agencies and consultancies. Then these 5 also have their PSLs who I would hope ultimately go to the market place (and not to more PS's!). Everyone gets a cut, leaving your talented people with probably half of what clientco is paying, limiting potential talent to those who will work for less.

I think its mad, but its all about clientco outsourcing the hunt for talent. Outsourcing is why we are here in the first place - so I don't knock it!
    "take me to your leader"

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
      I think its mad, but its all about clientco outsourcing the hunt for talent. Outsourcing is why we are here in the first place - so I don't knock it!
      Good point!

Comment

Originally posted by shanti View Post
        We don't have a choice, do we.. most of the time you lot are dinging each other to get on a PSL - the poor bod candidate who is actually doing the work is never given a chance to communicate with the clientco without going through the clogged up competitive meat market rat race agency channels.

Kinda typical of this country, there is this wide-boy middle layer in the way of everything here, estate-agents mentality trading wheelers and dealers with no moral compass (in the IT recruitment - most of these people are unable to distinguish a computer from a biscuit tin). Reminds me of the tabloid press mentality that seems to gain the UK an international reputation for immaturity.

I think it speaks to that fact that we have limited opportunities, but large amounts of aspiring technical talent - and thus this 'middle layer' can unaccountably thrive on the back of the few technical talented people - until they have sapped them of their skills.
        What a whining diatribe. It doesnt say much for contractors if in order to procure their services the market necessitates the existence of so many agencies (contractors dont care who they deal with) and other layers of bureaucracy.

Oh if only it were so simple that a short list of contractors could be easily presented, that their CVs represented their skills truthfully, that if offered they wouldnt change their mind and take a contract elsewhere, that they would cast iron guarantee to turn up to work on the day.

The middle layer that you refer to exists to male it as easy as possible to bring contractors together with clients. If you have a better way then lets hear it, but please spare us the whining.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          What a whining diatribe. It doesnt say much for contractors if in order to procure their services the market necessitates the existence of so many agencies (contractors dont care who they deal with) and other layers of bureaucracy.

Oh if only it were so simple that a short list of contractors could be easily presented, that their CVs represented their skills truthfully, that if offered they wouldnt change their mind and take a contract elsewhere, that they would cast iron guarantee to turn up to work on the day.

The middle layer that you refer to exists to male it as easy as possible to bring contractors together with clients. If you have a better way then lets hear it, but please spare us the whining.
          For once I have to agree with DA (shocked look on many faces), this site seems to be awash with so called 'independent' contractors that do nothing but whinge about agents that try their hardest to get contractors onto roles (and admittedly make a slim profit on the deal also).

If you are not happy with the service that agents provide, then don't use them, sounds like you are better off on your own. In this market you need agents more than they need you it would seem.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
            For once I have to agree with DA (shocked look on many faces), this site seems to be awash with so called 'independent' contractors that do nothing but whinge about agents that try their hardest to get contractors onto roles (and admittedly make a slim profit on the deal also).

If you are not happy with the service that agents provide, then don't use them, sounds like you are better off on your own. In this market you need agents more than they need you it would seem.

PZZ
            That is not my point. For a start I dont want to be associated with your whining that we "make a slim profit"
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
              And you can almost imagine him slicking his hair back when he said that.
              You will be pleased to hear that I actually where my hair very short, skin head in fact.
              I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by Another Dodgy Agent View Post
                You will be pleased to hear that I actually where my hair very short, skin head in fact.
                I bet you still wear hair gel

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  I bet you still wear hair gel
                  Well, maybe! It disguises the grey hairs!
                  I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Working...
                  X