• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC clearance and Criminal Record

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC clearance and Criminal Record

Hi Everyone,
    I've just scored a contract to permanent role where they require me to go through SC clearance. The plan is I work with non sensitive data first until I get SC. As a result of mixing with some dubious types when I was young I got into a spot of bother with the law. It was a stupid petty theft / criminal damage moment of madness which happened when I was around 18, I can't remember what the charges were as it was nearly 25 years ago now. Has anyone ever got SC clearance with a criminal record. I haven't done nothing naughty since that event, it is the only blot in my copy book. I realised the error of my ways at the time and sought a new less risky social circle! Otherwise everything else with regards to background and credit checking should be 100% fine.
    Should I make my excuses now? Thanks...

As long as you declare your convictions etc. then you should be OK - I can't remember off hand what the time period is for "spent convictions".

Usually, they are more worried about whether you are ashamed of it (and therefore a possible blackmail target) rather than what you did.

If you fail the SC, then they will just march you off-site - you'll still bill them for the work up until that point. Happened to someone I was working with this year - he was there for the first four days, and hasn't been seen since.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thing to remember is, they will know about any old convictions and the like anyway: the test is to see if you mention them. If you don't, you will fail clearance no matter how good you are. It doesn't matter if you murdered your granny, if both sides know about it, it can't be used against you.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

As the others have said, they are looking at your honesty.
        They do not want people with dirty secrets as they are open to blackmail.
        A string of convictions may cause problems, but a one off years ago will be OK as long as it is declared.
        You seal it in an envelope so the client should never know.
        Being massively in debt is an issue as you are open to bribery.
        Oddly, having too much money may be an issue, particularly if you can not account for the excess.

Just come clean with it all. You will be OK. If not then there is nothing you can do as you can not hide anything.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Thanks guys, that's reassuring. Do you think it will cause a problem with me not being able to pinpoint the exact year and offence? I can only recall being about 18/19 and the offence was either theft / criminal damage, possibly both...
          Should I try nad get a CRB check on myself before I start?
          Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            You seal it in an envelope so the client should never know....
            Wasn't there a case where the agent opened this envelope reported on this board?
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hi,

To be honest i don't think you have anything to worry about, as the offence was committed years ago and it was nothing serious.

When i got a job with a top bank in London, i had to go through the same checks. I was worried at first cause I've also been a naughty boy in my young years. I didn't declare anything on my application form as the offence was "time spent" and you don't have to declare it if it is(unless it states you have to declare all time spent in your application).

After 1 month of worrying, it all came back clean.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg...mId=1073793847

http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=313

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainChaos View Post
                As an individual, you can't get a CRB check - it has to be requested by an accredited organisation.

I wouldn't worry unduly. Just put down a rough date & offence - they'll be perfectly capable of pulling up the relevant details.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainChaos View Post
                  Thanks guys, that's reassuring. Do you think it will cause a problem with me not being able to pinpoint the exact year and offence? I can only recall being about 18/19 and the offence was either theft / criminal damage, possibly both...
                  Cheers.
                  Just had a chat with my old man about this (he's an ex-copper), he suggested that you go to your local "nick" and have a chat with the friendly desk sergeant explaining that you don't have the full dates and that you're applying for a job where these details are required.

Good luck!

Comment

The woman who sits next to me here on client site has a criminal record (Possesion of a deadly weapon and possesion of a controlled substance) and she was SC cleared. As other have said, declare is and take it from there.
                    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                    "See?"

Comment

Working...
                    X