• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Market picking up or Agents updating their database?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market picking up or Agents updating their database?

After the start of the new financial year, and after the Easter holidays, I find there has been a sudden spurt of calls from Agents. 6 calls in 4 days (since 14th April). I never applied to any of these agents in the last 6 months.

One of them said they were updating their database.

One asked me for updated resume to submit to client (which they promised over phone), but after resume sent to the Agent, no reply from the Agent.

Others mentioned a 'role' .. without specifying the client as usual.

Is the market actually picking up and funds are allocated to new projects from the start of the financial year OR the Agents are simply updating their databases with active resumes? Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Ashwin2007; 17 April 2009, 20:13.

I've had about that number of calls this week - very encouraging although some are tentative (a couple even said the roles weren't out yet but were expected).

All but one told me the names of the companies - which I am assuming is a goodish sign.
    "take me to your leader"

Comment

yep a call today. my CV has been off job sites for 5 years. Agents may be moving again (or scraping the barrell).
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Early signs of market picking up here too I believe. However, I did get a call from a friendly agent of Tuesday desperate for leads. Being a decent bloke he opened the conversation with those words so I was helpful to him. However, that particular agency is suffering from being very big in the pharmaceutical industry which has virtually imploded for contractors and they're in almost nothing else.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
          I've had about that number of calls this week - very encouraging although some are tentative (a couple even said the roles weren't out yet but were expected).

All but one told me the names of the companies - which I am assuming is a goodish sign.
          Ditto...please let this be the start of the upturn....
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Had about 5 calls over the last 2 weeks…which is strange as my CV has not been "on the market" really for close to 4 years (only 3 agencies have had my CV during that period and none of the calls were from them) , got a feeling it's agents updating databases because if they had real roles they would have a lot more recent contractor CV's to work with instead of wasting time with CV's 4 to 5 years out of date

Comment

They're trying to look busy by keeping their call rate high. Updating old CV's is one way of doing it, and there's always the possibility they could get a lead, even if they don't ask directly for it.

Comment

Optimism anyone

Comment

Don't be fooled. Market sucks.

Comment

Just checked...seems to be lots of Java jobs also in London. Doesn't look too bad at all. I'm not Java, but interested to hear opinions of Java programmers.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X