• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Relocation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relocation

On these forums, posts seems to encourage being flexible in terms of work location when looking for contracts. But I’m intrigued how this works for others with families, as well as for those primarily living in London. We rent in London and there is no way, unless I was to be paid upwards of 700 a day, that I could afford to finance a secondary place. How do others do it? I suspect people being able to relocate are those without families and so are not tied to one place?

Monday to Thurs night in an hotel. Back home Friday afternoon - off to work early on a Monday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Belle View Post
      On these forums, posts seems to encourage being flexible in terms of work location when looking for contracts. But I’m intrigued how this works for others with families, as well as for those primarily living in London. We rent in London and there is no way, unless I was to be paid upwards of 700 a day, that I could afford to finance a secondary place. How do others do it? I suspect people being able to relocate are those without families and so are not tied to one place?
      If financial commitments prevents you from staying away in a cheap B&B outside London, either commute on a daily basis or don't accept roles where you cannot afford to stay away from home. That's the only advice I can give in this scenario.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Belle View Post
        So a turnover of £168000 is required to fund a £50 hotel for 4 nights a week (£11K a year tax deductible)

I'd look at your maths again.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          So a turnover of £168000 is required to fund a £50 hotel for 4 nights a week (£11K a year tax deductible)

I'd look at your maths again.
          Don't forget the OP's commitments in his primary location. The cost could be a lot higher than you think.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
            Don't forget the OP's commitments in his primary location. The cost could be a lot higher than you think.
            Please explain.....I could understand the costs being a lot higher if the OP living outside of London but had a contract in London......from experience 4 nights in and around London works out at about twice as much as most other 'provincial' places I have worked...PLUS you get the pleasure of being completely ripped off by Virgin for the pleasure of being crammed onto a 7 o'clock train with half the rest of the world.

Comment

In 1995: £25/hour. Drove 3 hours Monday morning. Back Friday evening. Paid £60 a week lodgings. Six months in, worked from home Monday and Friday, so just two nights away from home. £30 - room in shared house.

In 1998: £450 a day. Drove 3 hours Monday morning, back Thursday pm. ( Opposite direction to 1995 - since then I'd moved house). Paid £70 for lodgings - full board!

In 2005: £450 a day. Flew in Monday morning, back Friday evening. Room in shared house - £100 a week.

I've 3 kids.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You need to become an MP, then you can claim around £100k a year for your second residence! Is anyone here a contract MP? How do I break into this field?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post
                  Please explain.....I could understand the costs being a lot higher if the OP living outside of London but had a contract in London......from experience 4 nights in and around London works out at about twice as much as most other 'provincial' places I have worked...PLUS you get the pleasure of being completely ripped off by Virgin for the pleasure of being crammed onto a 7 o'clock train with half the rest of the world.
                  Judging by the OP, the person is living in london and has a family. So the OP will need to factor into the equation the cost of paying the bills for the property in London (whether it is rented or owned) as well as the cost of living away from home. Without the details of the OP's outgoings in their current location, I cannot presume to know what (s)he can or cannot live on.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                    Judging by the OP, the person is living in london and has a family. So the OP will need to factor into the equation the cost of paying the bills for the property in London (whether it is rented or owned) as well as the cost of living away from home. Without the details of the OP's outgoings in their current location, I cannot presume to know what (s)he can or cannot live on.
                    Bull. You and the OP need to get real. Factor this in. Can the OP afford to live on nothing? I assume that the OP has posted because they are or soon will be benched. Assuming it is a UK contract, total weekly live away expenses should not exceed £100/day. Many contractors will spend much less as we have seen. To say you need £700/day to work away from home is the stuff of fairy tales.

Comment

Working...
                    X