• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Switzerland....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Switzerland....

Not in the EU Is it easy enough to get permits/visas etc. Could you survive on £450 a day? Probably go home once a fortnight.
    Blood in your poo

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Not in the EU Is it easy enough to get permits/visas etc. Could you survive on £450 a day? Probably go home once a fortnight.
    I didn't know you needed a Visa / Permit to go to Switzerland.... but there again, it has been some 20+ years since I last been there.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

no Switzerland is defacto EU.

£450 is fine, about the going rate here. Tax rates are low so your take home very roughly would be about £6000.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
        If you are not an EU citizen, then it can be difficult to get a work permit. If you are, then there's no quota - you just have either set up your own company, or have a firm job offer. ( Agency will be employer ).

£450 is currently 730CHF. When UK/CH were about as expensive as each other (or closer anyway!), it was about CHF1000, Certainly you can live on CHF730, but it's not going to fund a champagne lifestyle.

( If you are not an EU citizen, you'll need a visa as well. Fortunately, CH is now part of Schengen ).
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          If you are not an EU citizen, then it can be difficult to get a work permit. If you are, then there's no quota - you just have either set up your own company, or have a firm job offer. ( Agency will be employer ).

£450 is currently 730CHF. When UK/CH were about as expensive as each other (or closer anyway!), it was about CHF1000, Certainly you can live on CHF730, but it's not going to fund a champagne lifestyle.

( If you are not an EU citizen, you'll need a visa as well. Fortunately, CH is now part of Schengen ).
          Thanks for the info - what would be the likely accommodation costs per week for say a modest flat if you don't mind me asking?
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Depending heavily on distance from public transport and the city, ~200CHF a week should see you alright.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Depending heavily on distance from public transport and the city, ~200CHF a week should see you alright.
              Sounds reasonable - thanks again.
              Blood in your poo

Comment

Maybe the law is now obsolete - but I recall years ago that a degree was required for IT contracts in Switzerland - I guess this is no longer the case ?

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                  Maybe the law is now obsolete - but I recall years ago that a degree was required for IT contracts in Switzerland - I guess this is no longer the case ?
                  I recall that years ago Latin was required in order to go to University.

Things have gone downhill, Alfred.

Comment

You haven't needed a degree for a work-permit if you are an EU citizen, since May 2002, IIRC.

I don't know when the latin was dropped. But you probably still need the latin for the judgin.

Comment

Working...
                    X