• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting in Switzerland...."

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    I did study Latin as Glasgow Universtity required an O Level in Latin even for the Sciences and Medicene.

In the end I truned out to be a it of a rebel and eschewed Academia and then ived a somewhat nomadic existence .

Wow - you have a Higher in Latin Expat - that is impressive in my book.

Well Done.
    My (state) school was Hamilton Academy, where the rector was Macnaughton, who literally wrote the book on Latin for Scottish schools, so Latin was rather encouraged there.....

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I recall that years ago Latin was required in order to go to University.

Things have gone downhill, Alfred.
    I did study Latin as Glasgow Universtity required an O Level in Latin even for the Sciences and Medicene.

In the end I truned out to be a it of a rebel and eschewed Academia and then ived a somewhat nomadic existence .

Wow - you have a Higher in Latin Expat - that is impressive in my book.

Well Done.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 14 January 2009, 16:17.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    You haven't needed a degree for a work-permit if you are an EU citizen, since May 2002, IIRC.

I don't know when the latin was dropped. But you probably still need the latin for the judgin.
    In the 60s in Scotland. I slipped in to Uni just after it, though actually I do have Higher Latin. I also worked in CH without having to prove a degree, though actually I did get one of those by some accident.

Sensible all round: the degree is no more relevant to IT in Switzerland than the Latin is to the maths degree.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    You haven't needed a degree for a work-permit if you are an EU citizen, since May 2002, IIRC.

I don't know when the latin was dropped. But you probably still need the latin for the judgin.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Maybe the law is now obsolete - but I recall years ago that a degree was required for IT contracts in Switzerland - I guess this is no longer the case ?
    I recall that years ago Latin was required in order to go to University.

Things have gone downhill, Alfred.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Maybe the law is now obsolete - but I recall years ago that a degree was required for IT contracts in Switzerland - I guess this is no longer the case ?

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Depending heavily on distance from public transport and the city, ~200CHF a week should see you alright.
    Sounds reasonable - thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Depending heavily on distance from public transport and the city, ~200CHF a week should see you alright.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    If you are not an EU citizen, then it can be difficult to get a work permit. If you are, then there's no quota - you just have either set up your own company, or have a firm job offer. ( Agency will be employer ).

£450 is currently 730CHF. When UK/CH were about as expensive as each other (or closer anyway!), it was about CHF1000, Certainly you can live on CHF730, but it's not going to fund a champagne lifestyle.

( If you are not an EU citizen, you'll need a visa as well. Fortunately, CH is now part of Schengen ).
    Thanks for the info - what would be the likely accommodation costs per week for say a modest flat if you don't mind me asking?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Not in the EU Is it easy enough to get permits/visas etc. Could you survive on £450 a day? Probably go home once a fortnight.
    If you are not an EU citizen, then it can be difficult to get a work permit. If you are, then there's no quota - you just have either set up your own company, or have a firm job offer. ( Agency will be employer ).

£450 is currently 730CHF. When UK/CH were about as expensive as each other (or closer anyway!), it was about CHF1000, Certainly you can live on CHF730, but it's not going to fund a champagne lifestyle.

( If you are not an EU citizen, you'll need a visa as well. Fortunately, CH is now part of Schengen ).

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    no Switzerland is defacto EU.

£450 is fine, about the going rate here. Tax rates are low so your take home very roughly would be about £6000.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Not in the EU Is it easy enough to get permits/visas etc. Could you survive on £450 a day? Probably go home once a fortnight.
    I didn't know you needed a Visa / Permit to go to Switzerland.... but there again, it has been some 20+ years since I last been there.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    started a topic Contracting in Switzerland....

Contracting in Switzerland....

Working...
X