• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professional day - How many hours?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I currently average about 10 hours a day.

Did a week of 12+ hours days a month or so ago. I don't see this as "unpaid overtime". I quoted a rate to do the work and that's what I am doing.

I don't feel the need to work the hours becuase I have to - I do it becuase I want to (actually enjoy this gig). Then again I'm left to get on with it and report back once or twice a week.

Comment

my current contract is a daily rate, with the "day" being 7.5 hours.

however , on quite a few occassions i've skipped lunch and worked straight through. should i be claiming that working lunch as overtime?

Comment

I simply work the 8 hours for the professional working day, in at 9, out at 5, skip the 'official lunch hour'. I dont get paid for one so why should i take one, afterall its my company I am working for

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
          try to get expected hours per week (eg 37, 40 etc) stated in contract.
          Each to their own but I wouldn't do that. My current gig stipulates 5 PWD's but that's it. It doesn't define what a PWD is. Suits me and, like others have said, I'll take as long as I takes to get things done to hit deadlines. Funnily enough, this very rarely falls over 7.5 hours. Importantly, it gives me plenty of flexibility to differentiate myself from the permies.

If I had to define it, a PWD is anything over 4 hours...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

just wondering - how is lunch hour treated in other contracts?

is it normally unpaid?

assuming a 7.5 hour "day" , if you work through your lunch then its a 9 to 4.30 day.

is that normal practise with other contractors - or do you try to fit around what the site normally clocks off at , and just turn a blind eye to the extra "working through lunch" hour?

Comment

Originally posted by rephlex View Post
              just wondering - how is lunch hour treated in other contracts?

is it normally unpaid?

assuming a 7.5 hour "day" , if you work through your lunch then its a 9 to 4.30 day.

is that normal practise with other contractors - or do you try to fit around what the site normally clocks off at , and just turn a blind eye to the extra "working through lunch" hour?
              I take lunch cos I think better with breaks. My lunch is as long as I want it.

I don't care what other people do.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                My working day is 8hrs, sometimes less. When working on daily rate, try to get expected hours per week (eg 37, 40 etc) stated in contract. Then you can work longer hours mid week and take Friday afternoon off etc. Be wary about being sucked into doing unpaid overtime.

Don't worry about what permies do, or other contractors doing 'charity work'. At current gig due to run up to go live, permies are working all hours and weekends for 'pizza pay'. Client asked me to do the same and I politely informed them that overtime will be charged. The realisation that they are paying for this extra time helps to limit the amount I'm expected to do. Anyways, it will pay for next years hols
                yeah - i've 37.5 hours per week stated. but the rate is a "daily rate".

i'm in an odd situation - when i stick to normal office hours , 9-1 , 1 hour lunch and then 2 to 5.30 (i have 7.5 hour day) , i get grief for taking a 1 hour lunch break.

so next day when i just worked through my lunch, worked until 5.30 and then claimed the work through lunch as 1 hour overtime, i still got grief.

i would hazard a guess that if i worked straight through from 9am to 4.30 , with no lunch (7.5 hours) and no claim of overtime , i would still get grief - as i would be leaving "too early"..

maybe the client is just taking the piss. maybe i should have a 2nd opinion from my agent.

Comment

Originally posted by rephlex View Post
                  [snip]i get grief for taking a 1 hour lunch break.

[snip] i still got grief

[snip] i would still get grief

maybe the client is just taking the piss.
                  sounds like you're working with a-holes, set 'em straight or walk i say!
                  Originally posted by BolshieBastard
                  You're fulfilling a business role not partaking in a rock and roll concert.

Comment

Who is giving you grief and what is the nature of the grief?

I work on the basis that if the client is unhappy about me working according to the contract then they're entirely free to terminate.

Peer-pressure, conformity, working for free, is for permies. You don't like my work? Get rid of me then.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Peer-pressure, conformity, working for free, is for permies. You don't like my work? Get rid of me then.
                      Amen to that!!
                      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                      X