• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract finish

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contract finish

advice required:

i have a contract with an agency which finishes end of september.
    however the client i work for has a contract with the agency to finish at the end of august. i have been told by the client end of august is my last day. what can i do ?

Not much, probably. It happens, move on.

Is there a notice period in your contract with the agency? Did the agency misrepresent that the contract was longer than it actually was? Would you have taken the contract if you'd have known that it was shorter than they said? Chances are, even if the answer to these is no, yes and no, that you'd only be entitled to the losses incurred, and you have a duty to mitigate those losses by searching for your next contract.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by sajidb View Post
      advice required:

i have a contract with an agency which finishes end of september.
      however the client i work for has a contract with the agency to finish at the end of august. i have been told by the client end of august is my last day. what can i do ?
      What does the notice period in your contract with agency say? Have they given notice?

Comment

This is common from my experiences with two big agencies. They issue a contract and schedule for 6 months, but don't tell you that the PO from the Client is only for 3 months. They then leave it till 10 days before and panic that the PO has run out. It usually works out, but it is something I now have a distain for in the extreme.

In future, I won't be signing any contracts unless the length matches that of the PO. It is the PO that deems if the money is available, and that in my view is what you need to know and that it matches the schedule you are given. I'll be demanding proof of a valid PO in future before I sign anything. If the PO is only for 3 months then I'll only sign a 3 month contract. Simple as. No Proof, then no contract. You have to be tough with agencies.

They are paid a healthy slice of your contract to actually do the leg work properly. I won't have any of this sitting on their back sides for 3 months and doing nothing useful to justify their existence. The majority, I am sorry to say, are poor excuses for professional entities. Get tough, and stand your ground!
        Last edited by rawly; 19 August 2008, 08:54.

Comment

there is a 1 week notice period either side, none has been served

Comment

What's a PO?
            Blood in your poo

Comment

Purchase Order

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                What's a PO?
                Post Office, Purchase Order, Postal Order or a swear word. Take your pick.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by spoons View Post
                  Purchase Order
                  Ah....right...now I see
                  Blood in your poo

Comment

notice period is 1 week either side, however i have been done over, made the mistake of quering the dates with the agency, today they emailed me a weeks notice to cover their back

Comment

Working...
                    X