• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: contract finish

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "contract finish"

Collapse

• Solent
    replied
    On a similar note, signed for 6 month contract, OK..All good. Recieve contract, two weeks notice either side; fine, yet client turns around at interview and explains that they hope the redevelopment does not take six months. I guess that's why the put the two week notice period in, but hey, we're mercenary, lets just get the money rolling in while we can

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Also I have a good plan B.
    Strictly speaking, a plan B is what people have up their sleeve and hope it is what will allow them one day to give up contracting.

What you have is an alternative income stream which means that bench time can be spent bringing in alternative revenues.

</PEDANT>

EDIT: Unless of course you have gone back to trucking as your plan A

For the OP, those are the breaks. That is one of the reasons we charge a premium - it gives our clients flexibility that they don't have with their employees.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by sajidb View Post
    notice period is 1 week either side, however i have been done over, made the mistake of quering the dates with the agency, today they emailed me a weeks notice to cover their back
    Oh well.

I take the view my contract is only as good as money in the bank. I don't ever expect to go back to client co the next day - that way I am prepared in case they **** me over.

Also I have a good plan B.

Leave a comment:

• sajidb
    replied
    notice period is 1 week either side, however i have been done over, made the mistake of quering the dates with the agency, today they emailed me a weeks notice to cover their back

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by spoons View Post
    Purchase Order
    Ah....right...now I see

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    What's a PO?
    Post Office, Purchase Order, Postal Order or a swear word. Take your pick.

Leave a comment:

• spoons
    replied
    Purchase Order

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    What's a PO?

Leave a comment:

• sajidb
    replied
    there is a 1 week notice period either side, none has been served

Leave a comment:

• rawly
    replied
    This is common from my experiences with two big agencies. They issue a contract and schedule for 6 months, but don't tell you that the PO from the Client is only for 3 months. They then leave it till 10 days before and panic that the PO has run out. It usually works out, but it is something I now have a distain for in the extreme.

In future, I won't be signing any contracts unless the length matches that of the PO. It is the PO that deems if the money is available, and that in my view is what you need to know and that it matches the schedule you are given. I'll be demanding proof of a valid PO in future before I sign anything. If the PO is only for 3 months then I'll only sign a 3 month contract. Simple as. No Proof, then no contract. You have to be tough with agencies.

They are paid a healthy slice of your contract to actually do the leg work properly. I won't have any of this sitting on their back sides for 3 months and doing nothing useful to justify their existence. The majority, I am sorry to say, are poor excuses for professional entities. Get tough, and stand your ground!
    Last edited by rawly; 19 August 2008, 08:54.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sajidb View Post
    advice required:

i have a contract with an agency which finishes end of september.
    however the client i work for has a contract with the agency to finish at the end of august. i have been told by the client end of august is my last day. what can i do ?
    What does the notice period in your contract with agency say? Have they given notice?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Not much, probably. It happens, move on.

Is there a notice period in your contract with the agency? Did the agency misrepresent that the contract was longer than it actually was? Would you have taken the contract if you'd have known that it was shorter than they said? Chances are, even if the answer to these is no, yes and no, that you'd only be entitled to the losses incurred, and you have a duty to mitigate those losses by searching for your next contract.

Leave a comment:

• sajidb
    started a topic contract finish

contract finish

advice required:

i have a contract with an agency which finishes end of september.
    however the client i work for has a contract with the agency to finish at the end of august. i have been told by the client end of august is my last day. what can i do ?

Working...
X