• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Ex Project managers may get annoyed at being asked all the time

I worked for 3 clients between 2007-2008 which means that I have 3 possible
    PMs that can supply me with an up to date reference. I did not need to provide references to obtain these contracts.

I normally go from contract to contract but we are not in normal times so we have to put up with this reference nonsense.

The problem is that if I keep on providing these 3 PMs as a reference they may get annoyed at being asked to provide me with a reference.

This year I have had only 2 short term contracts so it would be unreasonable
    to ask them for references.

Comment

I would doubt that 1% of these calls are actually genuine so why would anyone want to ask their previous manager to answer a potential 100 calls before someone eventually calls him up and says "this guy, I am thinking of hiring him, would he be OK?"

In all my years contracting I have never been asked by a client for a reference but have been asked hundreds of times by agents. I think that shows who really wants the names.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        In all my years contracting I have never been asked by a client for a reference but have been asked hundreds of times by agents. I think that shows who really wants the names.
        Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by Another Dodgy Agent View Post
          And your experience of Heroin is??? What depths am I plumbing? If these depths are truly deep do you think I should take out insurance? I seek advice only because you seem so wise and fat with knowledge!
          Why dont you try posting before the drugs and drink cut in?
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Got this from an agency a couple of days back:

Dear ,
            We spoke a couple of days ago.

Our master agreement with our client states that we must obtain work references from every candidate that we submit to them. With this in mind please could I ask you to provide names and contact details of 2 referees.

We understand some references submitted will needed to be treated sensitively. With this in mind, references will only be taken from current employers once you have gained a new position and given us permission to contact them.

Comment

Permission to contact them

Originally posted by explorer View Post
              Got this from an agency a couple of days back:

Dear ,
              We spoke a couple of days ago.

Our master agreement with our client states that we must obtain work references from every candidate that we submit to them. With this in mind please could I ask you to provide names and contact details of 2 referees.

We understand some references submitted will needed to be treated sensitively. With this in mind, references will only be taken from current employers once you have gained a new position and given us permission to contact them.
              Question number 1
              How does the agency prove to the client that he has reference checked me?
              Question number 2
              On one occasion why did agency A ask me for references and not agency B for the same client? The reason I knew that it must be the same client is because there can't be many large Pharma companies in Macclesfield.
              Question number 3
              What prevents them from using my two referees as job leads.
              Question number 4
              What happens if I gain the new position and refuse permission?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                I would doubt that 1% of these calls are actually genuine so why would anyone want to ask their previous manager to answer a potential 100 calls before someone eventually calls him up and says "this guy, I am thinking of hiring him, would he be OK?"

Just to say I am an IT recruiter (please no rotten tomatoes!) and a newbie to the board.

I only ever take out references at offer stage or perhaps if it is down to 2 and the client requests it. 99% of agents who ask are indeed fishing. I agree many clients aren't even that bothered, I tend to take them at offer stage because generally my PI insurer prefers that i do.

I don't need to use such underhand tactics to get biz leads, all mine comes from word of mouth and good reputation. In fact I have barely had to make a single cold call in years, clients tend to approach me. Don't want to sound arrogant here, its the truth.

So thank you to all the cowboys out there, you make me look good and have kept me busy with a steady stream of work for many years. I am not looking to make a million, I drive a perfectly normal car and because I am not obsessed with working every single job out there, I get to concentrate on doing a really good job for my client, not to mention I have the time to provide the kind of recruitment service that clients really want whilst treating candidates like human beings not just a commodity....

Anyway I just wanted to add this forum is great, I actually come from more of a perm background but I am steadily growing my contract biz. It's really interesting (and hardly surprising) to see how the average agent is perceived. However we aren't all like that!

Comment

Originally posted by Can sleep at night View Post
                  Just to say I am an IT recruiter (please no rotten tomatoes!) and a newbie to the board.
                  You'd better don your asbestos suit having admitted your true nature on this forum, but that's life

...but seriously, I think most of us contractors - despite all the verbal attacks on agents - realize deep-down that not all of them are worthy of shooting...probably only the ones that are still breathing.

In my career, I have actually come across a few (very few though) who seemed reasonably genuine and honest people - and I've appreciated that greatly. Sadly, I also don't know any of them who are still agents today, so maybe that says something.

So, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on bucking the trend.

Comment

Originally posted by Can sleep at night View Post

I only ever take out references at offer stage or perhaps if it is down to 2 and the client requests it. 99% of agents who ask are indeed fishing. I agree many clients aren't even that bothered, I tend to take them at offer stage because generally my PI insurer prefers that i do.

I don't need to use such underhand tactics to get biz leads, all mine comes from word of mouth and good reputation. In fact I have barely had to make a single cold call in years, clients tend to approach me. Don't want to sound arrogant here, its the truth.

So thank you to all the cowboys out there, you make me look good and have kept me busy with a steady stream of work for many years. I am not looking to make a million, I drive a perfectly normal car and because I am not obsessed with working every single job out there, I get to concentrate on doing a really good job for my client, not to mention I have the time to provide the kind of recruitment service that clients really want whilst treating candidates like human beings not just a commodity....

Anyway I just wanted to add this forum is great, I actually come from more of a perm background but I am steadily growing my contract biz. It's really interesting (and hardly surprising) to see how the average agent is perceived. However we aren't all like that!
                    You started off ok but then descended into the bull**t stereotypical recruitment consultant. If I had a £ for every time I heard the "In fact I have barely had to make a single cold call in years, clients tend to approach me" line I would be retired a long time ago.

If you want to survive on this board dont say things that you cannot prove unless you want to have the p**s ripped out of you.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      You started off ok but then descended into the bull**t stereotypical recruitment consultant. If I had a £ for every time I heard the "In fact I have barely had to make a single cold call in years, clients tend to approach me" line I would be retired a long time ago.

If you want to survive on this board dont say things that you cannot prove unless you want to have the p**s ripped out of you.
                      Lol and how exactly would I prove that?

That's OK I have nothing to prove, I know its true, I don't care if you believe me or not.

Wow what a lovely welcome but exactly what I expected from agents who clearly sees the concept of 99% word of mouth biz as being fantasy. Its easy, treat clients and contractors/candidates well, take your head out your xxxx, work hard, 100% honestly and the rest will follow.

As for the 'if you want to survive on this board' bit ...get over yourself! I don't care if people take the p!ss out of me , it doesn't bother me and just makes you look childish.

Enough people complain about how badly the agencies act and so many agents seem to do what every other agent does simply because they don't have the brains or the balls to make a stand and stop acting like jerks (am being polite here - I am a lady!)

I don't subscribe to the standard agency hand book AKA how to manipulate lie and cheat your way to more money and I don't care if I sound like a goody two shoes or if you believe me or not.

I completely understand why so many contractors (and permies) call agents pimps and are so sceptical. Some of the behaviour I have witnessed in all my years as a recruiter has been disgusting. But change can only come from within and /or if clients stop rewarding bad behaviour - I won't hold my breath on either happenign anytime soon!!

Comment

Working...
                      X