• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Punter View Post

The form asks for details of 4 referees. Is this a record?
    I had a similar thing happen. Asked for two references, and two people who'd say "great things about you".

I've also had another two agencies ask to meet me face to face in the last few weeks. One blatantly said "bring references".

What do you say to them? My brother says "just laugh". And they are usually okay.

But I just ignore them and don't see them at all. Are you just upfront and say "nope, not doing that, but if a job does come up please send me and I can send reference later if needs be". I know they're under pressure but if there was a genuine job at the other end I wouldn't mind giving references out.

Comment

Originally posted by northernrampage View Post
      I had a similar thing happen. Asked for two references, and two people who'd say "great things about you".

I've also had another two agencies ask to meet me face to face in the last few weeks. One blatantly said "bring references".

What do you say to them? My brother says "just laugh". And they are usually okay.

But I just ignore them and don't see them at all. Are you just upfront and say "nope, not doing that, but if a job does come up please send me and I can send reference later if needs be". I know they're under pressure but if there was a genuine job at the other end I wouldn't mind giving references out.
      I've been caught out by the face to face thing and its been a waste of time.
      Ask them if there is a job (get details), and if they fudge around it tell 'em to bugger off.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        I've been caught out by the face to face thing and its been a waste of time.
        Ask them if there is a job (get details), and if they fudge around it tell 'em to bugger off.
        WSS, I've done the face to face once and never again.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          WSS, I've done the face to face once and never again.
          I also did the face-to-face thing - the pimps didn't claim that there was a job and no references were requested at any point. I never heard from them again (this was about a year ago), but I did get a free coffee.

I can't help but wonder to this day what they expected to gain from the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
            I also did the face-to-face thing - the pimps didn't claim that there was a job and no references were requested at any point. I never heard from them again (this was about a year ago), but I did get a free coffee.

I can't help but wonder to this day what they expected to gain from the experience.
            Did face to face with agency once many many years ago, always refused to do again as total waste of time

Face to face could be good for agents to further narrow down the contractors down to best people only and for them to get to know the contractors so they could better "sell them" to clients, but simple fact is our market moves to quickly and the faces change to rapidly for it to be really feasible, so nearly all agent face to face's are

* Agent who moved over from permie recruitment and has not figured out the above

* Chance for them to dig for even more contacts/info for potential sales leads

Only face to face I would consider now would be if agent was doing actual recruiting for client (heard of it happening)…but then I would wonder if I would want to work for a client that did something so stupid

Comment

Every time I update my CV on the job sites, I get an email from a John Mawson of Evolution Recruitment saying:

I've seen your CV on Jobsite and have a couple of jobs that potentially look suitable for you, however I could do with a bit more information.

Please click here to enter some more details and help me find you the ideal job.

Clicking leads to some copious online form requiring (of course) the names of pretty much everyone you've ever worked with.

Upon enquiring what these 'couple of jobs' were, I was not in the faintest bit surprised to receive absolutely no response. I still await an answer to my subsequent email asking if he'd like to have sex with my sister.

Comment

Just read the whole thread, Is the "reference" situation much different with permanent employment recruitment ?

Comment

Originally posted by newblood View Post
                  Just read the whole thread, Is the "reference" situation much different with permanent employment recruitment ?
                  The reference situation varies from agent to agent. Some use it as a fishing exercise, some use it because their businesses are so risk averse that they have to take them to get any paperwork generated, and some take them as part of a set agreement (this is mostly defence, and airside aviation type stuff).

I have personally used references as a sales tool - not for generating leads, but for ensuring people get interviews. When it comes down to a competition, you have to remember that clients see agents as sheisters as well - therefore the value of having a previous line manager saying "XYZ is the best thing since sliced bread" is a great tool to complement the thoughts of the agent - its suddenly not all about the agent wanting/having to do business - its backed up by (in theory) an industry peer.

Unfortunately, all too often, references are not used to gain a reference at all, but as another cold call. I personally don't ask for a reference until I have the persons trust to some degree, and have a role to put them over to - if there's a way to avoid it, I will (to be fair, referencing people is dull as dishwater) but sometimes it can really give you the edge in the selection process. I'd not lie and tell anyone I've never gained business from the conversation that has resulted from referencing, but I rather think that comes down to the way I go about it - hopefully it gives the manager the confidence that when I'm working on their openings, I have fully vetted the individual I am presenting - but I may be wrong.

I guess you see the money, you make ya choice though.....

Good luck.

TAV
                  "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
                  SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

security clearance

Hi Guys
                    I have looked at the DVA site but are a bit confused!. Doe's the sponsor have to work for the company you are off to contract for?. See as the agencie won,t sponsor me, but if I have a job offer and can get a sponsor by myself will this pass at the DVA as
                    1/ I will have a sponsor
                    2/ Will have a job offer

HELP AND ADVICE NEEDED!

Comment

The Client Company will sort this out once you have got the contract.

(That's how it's supposed to work anyway - most agents/client will be lazy and ask for clearance on their job vacancies).
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X