• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 refs

Just got asked for 2 references for the first time when trying to land my first contract. My response:

"I will present references directly to the client at a meeting, if they are asked for".

Still a permie for now but trying...

Comment

Originally posted by karpizan View Post
      Every time I update my CV on the job sites, I get an email from a John Mawson of Evolution Recruitment saying:

I've seen your CV on Jobsite and have a couple of jobs that potentially look suitable for you, however I could do with a bit more information.

Please click here to enter some more details and help me find you the ideal job.

Clicking leads to some copious online form requiring (of course) the names of pretty much everyone you've ever worked with.
      I've just had the exact same email from mawson of evolution. I went to their website and got presented with a form that would pretty well have vacuumed every contract and contact I'd had for the last 10 years out of my head. If I was naive enough to fill it in that is.

I think I'll pass on them and stick with more credible agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Marsh View Post
        I've just had the exact same email from mawson of evolution. I went to their website and got presented with a form that would pretty well have vacuumed every contract and contact I'd had for the last 10 years out of my head. If I was naive enough to fill it in that is.

If they p!ss you off just give them another agent's name.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Marsh View Post

A decent agent won't need the leads that references can bring. It is a shame as it is this type of practice that gives the industry a very bad name.

I entirely agree that what you need is those elusive credible agencies.

By the same token though if you're new to an agent, how can they be assured you really are everything that you claim to be on the CV before putting you to their client?

Comment

Originally posted by IBM Agent View Post
            A decent agent won't need the leads that references can bring. It is a shame as it is this type of practice that gives the industry a very bad name.

I entirely agree that what you need is those elusive credible agencies.

By the same token though if you're new to an agent, how can they be assured you really are everything that you claim to be on the CV before putting you to their client?
            Most companies require they employees NOT to provide professional references that give anyone a bad name for fear of hassle because of it. At most it will be confirming that they worked there when they said they did

This can be achieved by contacting HR of the companies on my CV. You don't need me to give you that phone number, but I actually wouldn't mind giving you that.

I could give the best most glowing references, and still not get past an interview because I may not be good enough/have the skillset etc.

Comment

If you interview them either face to face or on the phone you can establish whether they have the skills that are needed.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                If you interview them either face to face or on the phone you can establish whether they have the skills that are needed.
                Is it only the 'skills' we need to assess in this business? Very short sighted reply. How about things like integration within a team, reliable, integrity etc. Do you think DA that if you asked an interviewee these types of question at interview he or she might just say "yes"?

Comment

Any communicator worth their salt won't just take the other person's word for it.

A conversation with a person will give you 'tells': are they gabby? Do they appear gossipy until you notice that they haven't given you 'serious/confidential' info? Do they appear knowledgeable until you probe a bit further? Will they provide you with knowledge you know to be right? Are they comfortable to be challenged or to challenge back?

There's more to communicating than having a tick-list of questions....

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Is it only the 'skills' we need to assess in this business? Very short sighted reply. How about things like integration within a team, reliable, integrity etc. Do you think DA that if you asked an interviewee these types of question at interview he or she might just say "yes"?
                    You clearly do not know how to conduct an interview do you?
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      You clearly do not know how to conduct an interview do you?
                      Agreed.

If I were to apply for a permy role, would the employer insist on two references before interview?

Nope?
                      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                      X