• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    References are a bit of a moot point these days anyway; a lot of places can only give factual indications about the start and end date, etc., so performance-related referees don't count for tulip.
    Which is why you can give 2 agents.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Which is why you can give 2 agents.
      Correct.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Why company ones obviously? Just give them the previous agents names and numbers and you are done.
        I stated company ones so as not to be confused with a personal reference from a friend or acquaintance.

Agent says needs to be someone who I have reported to, will not accept another agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoppy View Post
          I stated company ones so as not to be confused with a personal reference from a friend or acquaintance.

Agent says needs to be someone who I have reported to, will not accept another agency.
          Oh dear... And so the cycle continues.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Haven't you read any of the 92 preceding pages in this thread?

Comment

Agent wants sales leads. Tell them they'll be available when you get offered the role. There's incentive then for them to put you forward for the role.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Then simply tell the agency - "Unfortunately my clients do not provide references to contractors."

Then if they challenge you, you know there is no role and they are simply fishing so end the phone call.

A agent who needs real references is happy with a mixture of:
                1. Other agents to confirm dates
                2. People in professional roles who can confirm they have known you for 5+ years
                3. Fellow contractors who worked on the same project(s) as you who look like they had management responsibilities.

And they are happy with these once you have submitted for the role, interviewed and go it.
                Last edited by SueEllen; 8 December 2015, 15:52.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Tell the agent that you're happy to provide references of previous clients, as long as s/he is happy for you to tell other agents the client contact in the role that you're going for.

If they agree, then there is no role.

Comment

Must be telling the truth then. Don't disagree or you might upset the agent.....
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by guicane View Post
                      He said it is a dealbreaker and happily hung up the phone. I've had many of those before but I do feel the position was truly genuine... This thread helps a lot actually. Thanks all.
                      Did anyone try to ask an agent to send a spec and company details first? If they fail to provide them then obviously there is no gig.
                      If they do, then disclose some two referees but then there is nothing to prevent you from contacting the company either directly or through other agent to check whether this gig really exists and whether your CV has been indeed submitted.

Comment

Working...
                      X