• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a contracting friend who was going for a role which was genuine (he knew the end client), but one of the agencies asked for two references before putting his name forward.
    He gave my name, I got sent a form to fill out which I did. Then a couple of weeks later I got a phone call from the agent asking if I had any requirements.
    He was happy to hear that I had worked with the guy many times before and would vouch for him, but annoyed to hear I was a contractor and would not be doing any hiring.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      I had a contracting friend who was going for a role which was genuine (he knew the end client), but one of the agencies asked for two references before putting his name forward.
      He gave my name, I got sent a form to fill out which I did. Then a couple of weeks later I got a phone call from the agent asking if I had any requirements.
      He was happy to hear that I had worked with the guy many times before and would vouch for him, but annoyed to hear I was a contractor and would not be doing any hiring.
      Proof, not that it was needed, that agents are dodgier than DA.

Mind you, they need leads from somewhere. Must be so many other types of dead end that they're fed up of exploring.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        New (for me at least) variation on the 2 references question.
        Spoke to the agent who found me on linkedin, all seemed ok, although he didn't want to mention the end client's name. But said he would forward my cv as soon as I send it to him and would reveal who the end client is as soon as the phone interview got confirmed. So I sent my cv and got this reply:

Goodbye, not wasting anymore time on this one, except posting here of course
        Who was that?

Comment

New (for me at least) variation on the 2 references question.
          Spoke to the agent who found me on linkedin, all seemed ok, although he didn't want to mention the end client's name. But said he would forward my cv as soon as I send it to him and would reveal who the end client is as soon as the phone interview got confirmed. So I sent my cv and got this reply:

Goodbye, not wasting anymore time on this one, except posting here of course
          Sounds like Tek Systems \ Aston Carter group.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Boney M View Post
            Who was that?
            Oxford International. Never heard of them before, they are an Irish outfit

Comment

Like I said before try this experiment. Done it a few times with ROC Search.

Next time they ask you, say only if you promise not to hassle them about contractors. Then give a mates name (warn mate first).

You can guarantee (with Roc Search anyway) that within 30 mins they'll be on the phone to your mate, they won't even mention you, but will be asking if they need any contractors.

Of course, theres never any gig at the end of it - its just fishing.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

You can't get rid of them either. Been getting calls from them for years.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You can't get rid of them either. Been getting calls from them for years.
                  They have never phoned me for an Irish contract.Always somewhere else. Just tell them you only deal with agents that you have already worked with and dont require references.

Comment

I get a call once or twice a year. They've always seemed pleasant enough and they give me some information about the current state of the market.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Had a classic. Saw ad, sent off CV. Agent calls, before even discussing the role, he emphasizes he will need two references. Then he says the job is in a town X. "That's on my doorstep!" I say, to which he sounds surprised even though my address is in bold at the top of the CV. Agent sends role description, closest fit ever to my skills, I email back confirming representation. Then he sends email saying "love to get you into play on this one, but first I need those two references".

I send back the usual one-liner - happy to give references in event of interview or contract. Since then, total radio silence. Probably his server has been affected by the floods ?

Some light Googling reveals that the client does not have any office in or around town X, either in their own name or that of their parent company. They must be ex-directory and ex-google?

Comment

Working...
                      X