• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess I won't be doing business with amoria bond then.

Apparently her SLA is to get two references...........

My SLA is not to give them till I get a gig offer!
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Had a good one today - wish I'd been paying attention at the start to catch the agency's name.

A: Your CV for a job we have received (in a Yoda voice)... doing what at your last job were you?
      M: Blah blah.
      A: So are you interested in permanent or contract roles?
      M: Contract, and then suddenly realising where this was going to go... but also permanent jobs.
      A: Oh, this is a permanent job. Will keep you in mind for contract work. Who would I need to get a reference off at your last job?
      M: Oh there's too many people to pick from, I couldn't pick one out who would be best.
      A: Well who recruited you...
      M: No one, my mate got me the job.
      A: Well we'll have to leave that for the future then.
      M: Yep.

Why do they play this stupid game. IF they said "I'm looking to get some contacts - and find some roles that are being recruited for - who's best to ask for there". I might sometimes give them the info. Especially if I know they're having trouble recruiting [someone as good as me].
      Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Had this today. "We are only sending over 3 cv's and we want to include references with them".

I told him,I don't give out references until after I've had an interview, as I've bene burned before by agents contacting the referee to pimp work.

I'm guessing mine got binned right there

Comment

Originally posted by teclo View Post
          Had this today. "We are only sending over 3 cv's and we want to include references with them".

I told him,I don't give out references until after I've had an interview, as I've bene burned before by agents contacting the referee to pimp work.

I'm guessing mine got binned right there
          There was no role to apply for in the first place, so you haven't lost out.

Comment

I had one agent who was very persistent in getting a reference. I finally gave in but I did get a job interview. Some agencies like to pre screeen candidates but most of the time it is just to get leads. Sometime I just make up a random name and send them on a wild goose chase.

Comment

Maybe the way to spin this around is to take the agency's name and the name of the caller. We can then check them out on linked-in or whatever and see what their credentials are.

If the caller is someone who used to be a photocopier salesman up until 30 seconds ago or has no career history in recruitment then we know they are probably time wasters phishing for leads.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                Maybe the way to spin this around is to take the agency's name and the name of the caller. We can then check them out on linked-in or whatever and see what their credentials are.

If the caller is someone who used to be a photocopier salesman up until 30 seconds ago or has no career history in recruitment then we know they are probably time wasters phishing for leads.
                Recruiters that dont ask the question are probably not very good recruiters in all honesty. Its a simple way to gain information on a hiring client. Just because they are reputable means nothing, they are still in a competitive industry that needs new jobs.

How do you think recruiters get the jobs they are working in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by AnonAgent View Post
                  Recruiters that dont ask the question are probably not very good recruiters in all honesty. Its a simple way to gain information on a hiring client. Just because they are reputable means nothing, they are still in a competitive industry that needs new jobs.

How do you think recruiters get the jobs they are working in the first place?
                  They are on the PSL of a company and are approached when there is a role to fill.

Comment

Telephone interview success - But 2 references needed before face-to-face

I know this has been asked before, but I would appreciate a more recent view. Over the last few weeks I have been constantly called by a recruiter at an agency over an ASP.Net role. At first I was inclined to dismiss it as a fishing scam a) Because the agent sounds like a dodgy barrow boy. b) because of the questions asked (e.g. do you have any other roles in the pipeline?). c) because of some of their requests (Please send me an email stating how much you've enjoyed talking to me and how very much you'd love to work with our client!!!!). Amazingly, however I managed to get a telephone interview with the client which (according to barrow boy) went very well and the client are keen to interview me face-to-face asap. However, and here's the rub, he is now demanding the names and telephone numbers of the senior managers at my last 3 roles so that he can have a "chat" with them about my suitability for the role he is putting me forward for. When I demurred, his first response was "I'm not fishing for leads" to which I replied, "I never suggested you were". I have stalled him, but the more I think about it the odder it seems, though he did get me the telephone interview. In any case, I know that at least 2 of those managers will refuse to speak to an IT recruitment agency on pain of death, and in any case what's the recruiter going to say to them as he knows absolutely nothing about IT and even less about ASP.Net? I have been a contractor for 6 years and no one's ever asked for a reference before, except for SC roles and only then when an offer has been made. Any ideas?

Comment

I'm guessing here but possibly he might be using a real contract possibility to fish. I can't imagine you would need more than one, i.e. kill two birds with one stone. It is possible that the client has asked for a reference, so he thought to himself that he'll get 3 for the price of one and use them for fishing as well.

My advice would be to contact a reference and ask him if your agent can contact him, warning him it might be a fishing trip but there is a real possibility of a contract.

I have been asked for a reference before by an agent and it was bonafide.
                      Last edited by BlasterBates; 15 November 2012, 14:35.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X