• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

agent wants references b4 any interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Give him the number referenced here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...tulations.html
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

He might be fishing. He might be genuine. you can't tell.

It is overwhelmingly likely that he is fishing; but if he is genuine, then you probably don't want to tell him to sod off.

High probability vs high payoff. Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        He might be genuine. you can't tell.
        A serious question. Has anyone landed a contract after handing over references first with no questions asked?

I'd be interested to know.

Comment

References are of questionable value anyway.

I would say this guy is fishing, and as others have said, either walk away or tell him that you don't supply references until offer stage, if ever.

regards

Comment

The same is true when an agent you have only spoken to once, wants to add you to his/her network on networking sites such as LinkedIn. As if you know them after such limited contact.....!

Comment

Originally posted by smiff View Post
              A serious question. Has anyone landed a contract after handing over references first with no questions asked?

Yes, I have, that's what made me reply as I did. So that time, I was glad that I gave them.

Comment

Originally posted by smiff View Post

I've done this maybe 5 times in my contracting career.

Number of interviews arranged after doing so, 0.

After the agent got the references I never heard from them again and on calling them, they were busy/out to lunch.

It is 99.999999% a scam for leads.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by chewie171 View Post
                  hi

an agent says he has a job for me , but wants references before interview ?

what do i do ?

is he fishing? and really there might not be any interview?

I'd say 99% fishing! No-one needs references if there aint even a job! They try this all the time with me - just say where the job is, ask who the client is, when's the interview. If you attend the interview, and you like it, then tell them you will happily give them what they need!

Comment

99.9% fishing. I tell them I'll take references to the interview and give them to the client directly. I never give agencies references.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X