• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

agent wants references b4 any interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agent wants references b4 any interview

hi

an agent says he has a job for me , but wants references before interview ?

what do i do ?

is he fishing? and really there might not be any interview?
    Green Box - Freelance Web Design and Development in London

Originally posted by chewie171 View Post
    hi

what do i do ?

90% (if not more) they are fishing. I have been stung a couple of times before by agencies using that tactic. If they have come back with a guaranteed interview date and time and they ask for references before hand, maybe they are genuine. If they don't... tell them to provide you with a date and time for the interview before you provide them with references.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

hi

what do i do ?

These folk can help

Seriously how can anyone know for sure. FWIW it sounds suspiscious so why not challenge him on why he wants these prior to you interviewing.

Comment

thanks , i think fishing.

will ask for date , time , and contact at the place of interview first.

Though the psyhics might be goog idea also lol
        Green Box - Freelance Web Design and Development in London

Comment

Give the switchboard numbers of your last two pimps.

They can gossip about OTE all day long.

Comment

no one needs references before interview...its a popular fishing trick at the moment...

I just say if you get me some work i'll give you some contacts..you never hear from them again...

Comment

thanks , i think fishing.

will ask for date , time , and contact at the place of interview first.

Though the psyhics might be goog idea also lol
              Then he'll say something about it being part of their quality procedures. Tell them that your company's procedures, and those of your referees, prevent giving out details before an interview takes place. Or just tell him he's a lying toad, and that no companies require referees before job/contract offers have been made.

Or do what I do. I tell them I don't give references. Full stop. Ever.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Or do what I do. I tell them I don't give references. Full stop. Ever.
                I do similar. I just say my previous client has a no references policy.

Comment

Lets hope the references show a better standard of English than the subject line of this post.

Comment

Give him the main switchboard number of the clients and use the names of people who have left the organisation.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X