• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract question ...overtime

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good business if you just do it ! leave the talk about rates for next time they ask.........happy client is a license to print money, unhappy client start looking on Jobserve..........remember work and act like a company......

Once I was called on a Sunday morning, we lost power to the building, all IT down can you help - Of course I can.........it took 3 phone calls and tens mintues of checking at the office........the client never said a word when I billed them for the whole day, just very happy that the problem had been sorted.

If I had said anything about rates when I recieved the call then that would have got the clients back up (They needed help not someone holding them over a barrel) and if someone did that to me then I would be looking to bin that person/company sharp......

Comment

Originally posted by Number9 View Post
      Good business if you just do it ! leave the talk about rates for next time they ask.........happy client is a license to print money, unhappy client start looking on Jobserve..........remember work and act like a company......

Once I was called on a Sunday morning, we lost power to the building, all IT down can you help - Of course I can.........it took 3 phone calls and tens mintues of checking at the office........the client never said a word when I billed them for the whole day, just very happy that the problem had been sorted.

If I had said anything about rates when I recieved the call then that would have got the clients back up (They needed help not someone holding them over a barrel) and if someone did that to me then I would be looking to bin that person/company sharp......

Yeah but scenario here is messy. Firstly I am "employed" by company X which has outsourced me to company Y. Company Y wants me to do the work and dont care about company X in this situation.

So if I dnt agree a rate with them then say bill double time and they refuse, I'd rather not have the hassle of chasing for my time!

Plus weekends is not mentioned in contract.

Then again contract says cant work for company Y without company X consent. Messy messy. Easier to fall sick! Hahaha!

Comment

Talk to company X.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'd just work it and either charge them your normal daily rate or take a days holiday in lieu.

Surely its better to keep a good client relationship than risk that by trying to charge them double (or not work it at all).

Comment

Professional

Originally posted by oxtailsoup View Post
            I'd just work it and either charge them your normal daily rate or take a days holiday in lieu.

Surely its better to keep a good client relationship than risk that by trying to charge them double (or not work it at all).
            WHS - this is what a good professional should do - however I doubt whether your good advice is wasted on some of the cowboy brigade here.
            Last edited by Dow Jones; 9 June 2008, 10:26.

Comment

That's what I'd do. (probably with a bit of a winge about having to cancel somthing I was going to do, so they think I'm doing them a real favour)

Comment

Originally posted by skelm View Post
                Yeah but scenario here is messy. Firstly I am "employed" by company X which has outsourced me to company Y. Company Y wants me to do the work and dont care about company X in this situation.
                If you're 'employed' by Company X then I doubt you have the right to negotiate this on their behalf...
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

Did the job ( only took me 3 hours or so ) and never mentioned overtime rate.

Company said they would pay for the day at 1.5.

Thats ok for me as it was not really taxing on the brain!

Comment

WHS.

Also, the demonstration of flexibility works wonders when you need to nip off early etc.

Comment

Slight twist on the question, but I always charge for international travel I need to do over the weekends, never been questioned. Particularly important when you're doing lots of long-haul (which is about to start again for me... )

Comment

Working...
                      X