• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract question ...overtime"

Collapse

• Tensai
    replied
    Slight twist on the question, but I always charge for international travel I need to do over the weekends, never been questioned. Particularly important when you're doing lots of long-haul (which is about to start again for me... )

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by oxtailsoup View Post
    I'd just work it and either charge them your normal daily rate or take a days holiday in lieu.

Surely its better to keep a good client relationship than risk that by trying to charge them double (or not work it at all).
    WHS.

Also, the demonstration of flexibility works wonders when you need to nip off early etc.

Leave a comment:

• skelm
    replied
    Thanks for the help guys.

Did the job ( only took me 3 hours or so ) and never mentioned overtime rate.

Company said they would pay for the day at 1.5.

Thats ok for me as it was not really taxing on the brain!

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by skelm View Post
    Yeah but scenario here is messy. Firstly I am "employed" by company X which has outsourced me to company Y. Company Y wants me to do the work and dont care about company X in this situation.
    If you're 'employed' by Company X then I doubt you have the right to negotiate this on their behalf...

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    I'd just work it and either charge them your normal daily rate or take a days holiday in lieu.

Surely its better to keep a good client relationship than risk that by trying to charge them double (or not work it at all).
    That's what I'd do. (probably with a bit of a winge about having to cancel somthing I was going to do, so they think I'm doing them a real favour)

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    Professional

WHS - this is what a good professional should do - however I doubt whether your good advice is wasted on some of the cowboy brigade here.
    Last edited by Dow Jones; 9 June 2008, 10:26.

Leave a comment:

• oxtailsoup
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Talk to company X.

Leave a comment:

• skelm
    replied
    Originally posted by Number9 View Post
    Good business if you just do it ! leave the talk about rates for next time they ask.........happy client is a license to print money, unhappy client start looking on Jobserve..........remember work and act like a company......

Once I was called on a Sunday morning, we lost power to the building, all IT down can you help - Of course I can.........it took 3 phone calls and tens mintues of checking at the office........the client never said a word when I billed them for the whole day, just very happy that the problem had been sorted.

If I had said anything about rates when I recieved the call then that would have got the clients back up (They needed help not someone holding them over a barrel) and if someone did that to me then I would be looking to bin that person/company sharp......

Yeah but scenario here is messy. Firstly I am "employed" by company X which has outsourced me to company Y. Company Y wants me to do the work and dont care about company X in this situation.

So if I dnt agree a rate with them then say bill double time and they refuse, I'd rather not have the hassle of chasing for my time!

Plus weekends is not mentioned in contract.

Then again contract says cant work for company Y without company X consent. Messy messy. Easier to fall sick! Hahaha!

Leave a comment:

• Number9
    replied
    Good business if you just do it ! leave the talk about rates for next time they ask.........happy client is a license to print money, unhappy client start looking on Jobserve..........remember work and act like a company......

Once I was called on a Sunday morning, we lost power to the building, all IT down can you help - Of course I can.........it took 3 phone calls and tens mintues of checking at the office........the client never said a word when I billed them for the whole day, just very happy that the problem had been sorted.

If I had said anything about rates when I recieved the call then that would have got the clients back up (They needed help not someone holding them over a barrel) and if someone did that to me then I would be looking to bin that person/company sharp......

Leave a comment:

• beeker
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Another day worked = another day invoiced. 'overtime' doesn't apply.
    True - another day invoiced, but if the original contract does not specify weekends, then a new clause in the existing one for weekend work at extra rates as this is something not previously agreed.

I guess it'll keep the client sweet if you want another extension if you agree to the extra work at normal rates?!

Leave a comment:

• Epiphone
    replied
    Double? Pah, call yourself contractors. Triple at a minimum plus mileage.

Had a client once who wanted me to do late nights and weekends for normal rate 'cause they'd got waaaay behind on some deadlines. Wouldn't pay and bleated "but if w emiss the dealines we lose 60 million quid" (It wasn't that much but it was in the millions).

Hmmm, and you're quibbling over mere pennies.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Another day worked = another day invoiced. 'overtime' doesn't apply.

Leave a comment:

• Integrity
    replied
    Now they are desperate and pleading .... and I just said contract says no overtime.
    The contract is just an agreement, if it needs to change, change it!

Should i tell them to fook right off??
    If you want to lose a client, sure!

Leave a comment:

• skelm
    replied
    **NOTE: You are running the risk of them dropping you if you dont just do it.**

They just renewed for another 2 months this week as well!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X