• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much does an agency charge over the rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HankWangford View Post
    sheesh, when is your renewal
    I'll PM you
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

What agencies should be doing

Hi Guys,

Pimp here, won't tell you what company I am from however!

What we do here is find out what rate the contractor is looking for then put our mark up on the top, we do not think it is good business to take anything away from you guys as it leads to bad feeling.

Mark up does vary, for instance I have nearly 400 men with my client so the mark up is only 5% however for companies who take a handful, the mark up does increase. As my mark up us set, I let all my contractors what is being charged for them. This approach leads to a happier working relationship rather than lead to whispering campaigns about the agency "robbing" money from the contractor.

Comment

It will depend if theyt have any kind of favoured partner deal with the clientco.

If you're sure they want to bypass the agent; next time round ask how much they were paying outright and then undercut it; clientco will be happy

That said, beware of any - "you can't work with this company for 6 months" subclause in your current contract, some agents can get upset and will cause you grief

Comment

Mine are on 50%. Through a "consultancy" rather than an agency but still

Happy enough with my rate though

Comment

Originally posted by Torran View Post
            Mine are on 50%. Through a "consultancy" rather than an agency but still

Happy enough with my rate though
            You say happy, but that "extra" 25% or so over "normal" percentages they are creaming would bug the hell out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by smiff View Post
              You say happy, but that "extra" 25% or so over "normal" percentages they are creaming would bug the hell out of me.
              I don't think you can compare a consultancies charge out rate and therefore margin over your rate with that of an agency. Pity really.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie-rookie View Post
                Ok, let me rephrase my question.
                Initial my contract is for 4 weeks and the client already asked for my business card and they said they will contact me in the future if they need a php developer again. I am guessing they want to bypass the agency. If this is the case, how much do I need to charge them?

Thanks.
                OK, better question.

If you were on £250, pitch for £350 (or £42.50 an hour if you expect to work overtime) and see what happens: that's probably not too far away from your original gross cost plus inflation.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by smiff View Post
                  I know mate but life is too short. I remember KPMG charging £1500 p.d for one of their Junior consultants. After a few pints he addmitted he was on less than £200 p.d. (permie equiv)

Now thats a mark up

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    I don't think you can compare a consultancies charge out rate and therefore margin over your rate with that of an agency. Pity really.
                    I got my current gig precisely because the consultancy charged roughly twice as much as I do for someone with ostensibly the same skills.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Torran View Post
                      I know mate but life is too short. I remember KPMG charging £1500 p.d for one of their Junior consultants. After a few pints he addmitted he was on less than £200 p.d. (permie equiv)

Now thats a mark up
                      In my old permie days, employer used to bill me out at 1200/day (aged 24, knowing fook all) and pay me 22k a year. lol. Idiot. Lets just say I was contracting before I hit 25.....
                      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Working...
                      X