• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much does an agency charge over the rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much does an agency charge over the rate

Let's say you have contract for couple of weeks. And offered rate is £250 daily. (PHP Developer)

Any idea how much actually client is paying to the agency?

Thanks

Wrong question. "What percentage of the Agency's charge are you getting?" is the right question. Get that clear and you'll save yourself a lot of grief. The bit that matters is the £250 - is that what you want to get for this piece of work under these conditions.

The answer by the way is "Who knows". It's probably around 25% for a short haul job, they have overheads to cover, after all. Industry average is somwhere between 12% and 17% these days, but every case is different.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Ok, let me rephrase my question.
      Initial my contract is for 4 weeks and the client already asked for my business card and they said they will contact me in the future if they need a php developer again. I am guessing they want to bypass the agency. If this is the case, how much do I need to charge them?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Wrong question. "What percentage of the Agency's charge are you getting?" is the right question. Get that clear and you'll save yourself a lot of grief. The bit that matters is the £250 - is that what you want to get for this piece of work under these conditions.

The answer by the way is "Who knows". It's probably around 25% for a short haul job, they have overheads to cover, after all. Industry average is somwhere between 12% and 17% these days, but every case is different.
        Bigger agencies tend to have larger standard margins - perhaps that's why their bigger. For example, Progressive have 25% as their standard. It also seems that at a certain point as daily rate increases, the margin in %age terms also increases.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hays = 5.5%

Comment

Originally posted by youwhut View Post
            Hays = 5.5%
            On a PSL with a tightly defined invoicing regime...

The average agency needs around 9-10% to break even if they haven't got guaranteed payment from the client, becuase they have to service the cost of lost investment of roughly £1m per 30 contractors as well as their operating overheads.
            Last edited by malvolio; 22 April 2008, 19:51.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Real Resourcing taking 29% of the gross in my case. This is not a guess.
              Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Most ofmine where 10%ish. Capital took 20%

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
                  Real Resourcing taking 29% of the gross in my case. This is not a guess.
                  sheesh, when is your renewal
                  whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    they have overheads to cover
                    Their main overhead, lest we forget, is making about 1000 phone calls for every 1 that results in a placement. Of course that's the last one they'll tell you about.

Comment

Working...
                    X