• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Multiple applications for the same role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
    Hate to disagree with Malvolio on this one, but his solution is not a Gordian knot, more of a Solomon cutting the baby in 2 pieces. No need to bin a good CV, not the guy's fault, especially if it's a good one and should be shortlisted. If there are 3 agencies on the PSL and you end up with 3 copies of the same CV, then whoever sent it first, gets to represent it. Simple, no arguments.
    Assuming you know who sent it first. In my usual BigCo haunts, I am compeltely separated from the CV reception and distribution people
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Assuming you know who sent it first. In my usual BigCo haunts, I am compeltely separated from the CV reception and distribution people
      That's why I always work on the principle of which one gets to me first. Seems fair.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        That's why I always work on the principle of which one gets to me first. Seems fair.
        AKA the one on the left in the email. OK...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

There is an easy way to get your CV seen first. Just change your name by deed poll to Aaron Aardvark.

Comment

Been in touch with an agent about a potential contract in a few weeks when the project starts. They want me to email them confirming I want them to represent me for this vacancy, so no other agent can put me forward to the client.

Apparently the client is requesting this as they've had aggro in the past with the same contractor being put forward by multiple agencies.

Am I being paranoid when I think it's just the agent trying to stop me using other agencies, that may be offering the same role at a better rate in the next few weeks?
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              Been in touch with an agent about a potential contract in a few weeks when the project starts. They want me to email them confirming I want them to represent me for this vacancy, so no other agent can put me forward to the client.

Apparently the client is requesting this as they've had aggro in the past with the same contractor being put forward by multiple agencies.

Am I being paranoid when I think it's just the agent trying to stop me using other agencies, that may be offering the same role at a better rate in the next few weeks?
              And that's my question: if another agency later offers you the same role at a better rate, why should you not be free to take it? Is that not a free market? Does nobody here believe in the market when it comes to them?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                And that's my question: if another agency later offers you the same role at a better rate, why should you not be free to take it? Is that not a free market? Does nobody here believe in the market when it comes to them?

I may include wording along the lines of "as long as the rate is comparable to that offered by any other agency for the same role".

Though I can see they'll just bin my CV and look for someone else, which might not be that hard in the current climate.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Then you wonder why agencies treat contractors with such contempt... As a starter for 10, google for "Cost of Sales" and "Operational Overheads" and "Primacy of Contract".

By agreeing to the agency putting you forward you are already in a contractual realtionship (probably further refined by their default Ts&Cs). If you want to chase the best rate through the agency then don't agree to work with them until you've had all available offers and can choose one.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Then you wonder why agencies treat contractors with such contempt... As a starter for 10, google for "Cost of Sales" and "Operational Overheads" and "Primacy of Contract".

By agreeing to the agency putting you forward you are already in a contractual realtionship (probably further refined by their default Ts&Cs). If you want to chase the best rate through the agency then don't agree to work with them until you've had all available offers and can choose one.
                    Well there's one who doesn't believe in a free market!

All of what you say applies to other markets where cost of sales and operation overheads are undertaken by would-be sellers before completing sales. They don't compel the potential other party, who remains just that. As for Primacy of Contract, you google Freedom of Contract.

And tell me how I'm bound by an agency's "default Ts&Cs" if they're not bound by mine.

Thinking about buying my bottle of Bordeaux from Sainsbury's does not make me "already in a contractual relationship" with them, and neither does thinking about taking a contract via Dodgy Agency Ltd.

Comment

You didn't say "Browse the offers and pick one", you said "Back out of arrangements being made on your behalf in favour of someone else". Different thing altogether. Like I said, go do your research, then bitch about fair trade.

Or put it another way. Sign a contract, turn up on Monday, on Tuesday you're off home becuase they found someone better and cheaper. By your terms, that's fair as well.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X