• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Multiple applications for the same role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple applications for the same role

If you know you have been put forward for a role by one agency is it beneficial or detrimental to apply for the same role via another agency?

On the one hand it may improve your chances if the client see's your name pop up more than once but on the other it may make you look desperate, I can't decide??
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    If you know you have been put forward for a role by one agency is it beneficial or detrimental to apply for the same role via another agency?

On the one hand it may improve your chances if the client see's your name pop up more than once but on the other it may make you look desperate, I can't decide??
    If I see the same candidate CV from two agencies, it goes straight in the bin. I'm not interested in working out which one has primacy of contract, so I don't even try.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      If I see the same candidate CV from two agencies, it goes straight in the bin. I'm not interested in working out which one has primacy of contract, so I don't even try.

Absolutely WHS

I have lost a role before for just this reason - at the height of the 1991 recession.

Comment

Good point, the one who put it forward is the preferred supplier anyway so I'll leave it at that.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

So long as the first agency isn't lying about being on the PSL, and, indeed, isn't lying about putting your CV forward, then it would be detrimental to have your CV put forward by another agency.

Unlike Malvolio, I'm a little more conscientious, and want the best candidate for the job, so, on the rare occasions I get the CV through from more than one agency, it's the agency that got to me first that gets the chance. My experience is that it only happens when one CV is sent without the candidate's knowledge.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

That is a major worry.
            I only give permission for one agent to forward me for any job, but what happens when some dodgy agent (sorry dodgy) puts me forward without permission.
            If you bin me I will never find out.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              That is a major worry.
              I only give permission for one agent to forward me for any job, but what happens when some dodgy agent (sorry dodgy) puts me forward without permission.
              If you bin me I will never find out.
              Correct - but all you will see is that you were unsuccessful. Business as normal in the contracting world.

More specifically, I wouldn't knowingly put myself forward twice but, if a client decides to use multiple agencies, they shouldn't be surprised if a CV lands on their desk twice. Tough I say...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                Good point, the one who put it forward is the preferred supplier anyway so I'll leave it at that.

But you never know that the agent has indeed put yur CV forward.It has happened in numerous instances to me where the agent says that my CV has been put forward but in reality it was'nt put forward at all and puts forward someone on whom he/she can make a bigger cut/margin

(and how do I know that my CV has not reached the client at all? well..I have my mates working for the same client)

Comment

AJ is right, agent tells you he is putting you in, someone else turns up who he thinks has a better chance/better margin (in his very humble opinion) you get bounced from the list and the client never sees you.
                  I usually indicate I have been put forward (or they have said I am) at some places the agent can see the list of candidate names or they can mention to the client have you seen a CV from x ?
                  Certain I have been bumped off lists before but don't just let them send it in again.

Comment

Let's be clear about this, I rarely get to see applications from agents directly, they usually turn up though some intermediary (usually HR) so that I am not seen to be bringing in my own preferred people (don't ask - SOX and all that associated rubbish is usually to blame) so I have no idea in what sequence they were delivered.

Secondly, as I said, if I give the authorisation to proceed to one agency and another pops up and says they were there first, I get an argument that I don't want or need. And I look sloppy for allowing it to happen.

Thirdly, it is down to the contractor to sort out who is submitting them. I very rarely don't get asked the "are you applying through anyone else" question. So either the agency is trying to be clever or the contractor is being sloppy: either way, I'm not interested.

And finally I still read all the CVs presented just in case, but you would be amazed how close most people are in terms of experience for most roles. I'll take the slight risk of losing the perfect candidate and keeping my sanity, thanks very much.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X