• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is now a good time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is now a good time?

Hi guys,

I handed my notice into my permie job a couple of weeks ago and now working through my 3 months notice period. I'm due to move to Manchester in a months time and have recently gained Prince2 and CCENT (half way to Cisco CCNA).

I've been thinking about contracting for a while and thought now would be a sensible time to give it ago, however I'm reading more news stories and more posts that suggest now could be the worse time to jump off the permie bandwagon. Contractors benched for longer, finance positions being cut and the credit crunch squeezing the budgets of IT departments etc....

Is now a good time to move into contracting?

1) It's always a good time to go contracting, as permiedom is just slavery.

2) It's a bad time to go contracting, don't do it. Stay in your nice safe permie nest.

There are times when conditions are so bad, you'd be a fool to turn down a permie job, if you need income. As a contractor, you have to be prepared for the bad times as well as the good. If you don't think you can weather the bad times, then don't bother.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

It's bad.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I think there is quite alot around at the moment - but reckon in 2 years time it will be very different.

Comment

Originally posted by mr wizard View Post
          Hi guys,

I handed my notice into my permie job a couple of weeks ago and now working through my 3 months notice period. I'm due to move to Manchester in a months time and have recently gained Prince2 and CCENT (half way to Cisco CCNA).

Is now a good time to move into contracting?
          Seems like most of the newbies on this board have this Prince2 thingy. Seems like way too many PM types trying to get on the bandwagon. I would suggest that anyone who is not an experienced Permie PM not try as a contractor. There are just too many experienced candidates on the bench. Maybe with the tech stuff you will have more luck.

Basically now is not so good, and you may have to relocate/travel to be successful in this game. It's not double your money for nothing anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
            Seems like most of the newbies on this board have this Prince2 thingy. Seems like way too many PM types trying to get on the bandwagon. I would suggest that anyone who is not an experienced Permie PM not try as a contractor. There are just too many experienced candidates on the bench. Maybe with the tech stuff you will have more luck.

Basically now is not so good, and you may have to relocate/travel to be successful in this game. It's not double your money for nothing anymore.
            agreed, i hope your not planning on being a PM. they tend to look for a minimum 5yrs, and the rates in Manchester are not the best.
            I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

I've only been looking for a week or so and its not filling me with confidence so far.

In 3 months time you might well be looking for another permie role

I've got a decent pile of cash and have a few permie options so I'm not worried, but for those with families and/or mortgages might be sweating a bit.
              Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Considering you've handed your notice in, I would say now is as good a time as any to look at contracting...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

You're having a larf!

'I handed my notice into my permie job a couple of weeks ago and now working through my 3 months notice period'

No point in looking now if you've got 3 months notice.
                  No point in looking at all if you are asking others to decide for you (Contracting = Business, like someone saying: Is it a good time to open a shop in London? - Pointless to me)

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
                    'I handed my notice into my permie job a couple of weeks ago and now working through my 3 months notice period'

No point in looking now if you've got 3 months notice.
                    No point in looking at all if you are asking others to decide for you (Contracting = Business, like someone saying: Is it a good time to open a shop in London? - Pointless to me)
                    there is a point. i had 3mths notice and negoiated leaving after 7 (a week after my first contract was signed).

Talk to your manager to discuss, you dont even need permission as you can just leave to be honest. HR cant stop you. they just stop your pay from the day you leave.
                    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Working...
                    X