• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is now a good time?"

Collapse

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    If B is better off than A then how is he foolhardy?
    Only because he'll have ignored more than half the advice proffered in this thread so far.

Leave a comment:

• ThePhoon
    replied
    It's always a good time to go contracting!

Just make sure you have enough money to tie you over for contract breaks!

Plus your starting fresh at the start of a financial year which is always a bonus

Leave a comment:

• 51st State
    replied
    Originally posted by mr wizard View Post
    Thanks Guys, seems like a bit of a mixed bag to be honest.

My experience isn't too bad, 2 years in support, 1 year administration and 2 years as IT Manager, but how this transfers into the contract world I'm unsure. I've also got a degree but it's more of a door opener in the permie world than anything else.

I'm relocating to Manchester in hope this will open more doors than the sleepy country town I currently live in.

Are the 'ups and downs' of contracting still more positive than permie positions when all added together? Are thw 'downs' starting to cancel out the 'ups'?

How is the contracting climate in Manchester at the moment?

Thanks
    Firstly, you need to decide what role you want.
    If you're looking at PM roles, then your technical expertise doesn't count jacksh*t.
    The opposite is true - PM experience and a P2 certificate isn't going to get you a techie gig.
    TBH your experience is very light. 5 years isn't enough, especially as you've done 2 years support and 2 years PM'ing. Most PM roles want at least 5 years of solid PM experience.
    What you've got to think about is that you'll mostly be going head to head against big hitting, experienced people (in either discipline) who know how to get work. If you're paying big dollars as an employer to plug a skills gap, ask yourself who you would choose?

Sorry if that's a bit negative, but it can be a tough world, and you've got to be very realistic about your prospects.

And as someone else has mentioned, limiting yourself to working in Manchester will not be the best option to get work. You'll need to cast your net wider if you seriously want to get your first roles.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    E.g.
    Prudent contractor A starts contracting when rates are low and about to get better. His rate rises over 5 years from £400/d to £600/d.
    Foolhardy contractor B gets in right now, when rates are high and about to drop. His rate drops over 5 years from £600/d to £400/d.
    They are pretty much as good as each other, except B is probably better off because he's banked his downtime-buffer money early on.
    If B is better off than A then how is he foolhardy?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by mr wizard View Post
    ...I'm relocating to Manchester in hope this will open more doors than the sleepy country town I currently live in.
    If you're relocating anyway, why not just go for contracts anywhere - and then move to where the contracts are?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    It's as good a time as any. The concept of "the market" for contractors gets talked about a lot, but it only plays a tiny part in defining how successful you'll be.Your own competence and network are much more important. "the market" will go up and down, but never anywhere near as much as the difference between a high rate contractor and a low rate contractor.

Also, if you were buying shares or commodities, then yes it makes sense to get in at the bottom of the market, and avoid getting in at the top. But with "getting into the contracting market" you're not buying anything that you will subsequently sell, so there's no point thinking about it in that way.

E.g.
    Prudent contractor A starts contracting when rates are low and about to get better. His rate rises over 5 years from £400/d to £600/d.
    Foolhardy contractor B gets in right now, when rates are high and about to drop. His rate drops over 5 years from £600/d to £400/d.
    They are pretty much as good as each other, except B is probably better off because he's banked his downtime-buffer money early on.

Leave a comment:

• knockyoak
    replied
    The only way to bench whether its a good time is to check the jobsites to see what the market is like....however the real test is when you put your CV out and see if you get the interviews....... Go for it ! if all else fails go back permie !! you have nothing to lose !

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    I've been benched for 3 months in the North-West, test the market by bouncing tailored CV's to jobs you are a close match for on jobserve etc. Declare you are available at 1 weeks notice (regardless of if it is true). You will be quickly able to guage your worth from the response you receive from those apps.
    I suspect you might struggle, I would look for a permie role if I were you.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    How are you doing Mr Wizard?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    True, but he may want to leave on good terms. After all, it's a small world
    I think you'll find it is quite large really...

Leave a comment:

• mr wizard
    replied
    Thanks Guys, seems like a bit of a mixed bag to be honest.

My experience isn't too bad, 2 years in support, 1 year administration and 2 years as IT Manager, but how this transfers into the contract world I'm unsure. I've also got a degree but it's more of a door opener in the permie world than anything else.

I'm relocating to Manchester in hope this will open more doors than the sleepy country town I currently live in.

Are the 'ups and downs' of contracting still more positive than permie positions when all added together? Are thw 'downs' starting to cancel out the 'ups'?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    there is a point. i had 3mths notice and negoiated leaving after 7 (a week after my first contract was signed).

Talk to your manager to discuss, you dont even need permission as you can just leave to be honest. HR cant stop you. they just stop your pay from the day you leave.
    True, but he may want to leave on good terms. After all, it's a small world

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
    'I handed my notice into my permie job a couple of weeks ago and now working through my 3 months notice period'

No point in looking now if you've got 3 months notice.
    No point in looking at all if you are asking others to decide for you (Contracting = Business, like someone saying: Is it a good time to open a shop in London? - Pointless to me)
    there is a point. i had 3mths notice and negoiated leaving after 7 (a week after my first contract was signed).

Talk to your manager to discuss, you dont even need permission as you can just leave to be honest. HR cant stop you. they just stop your pay from the day you leave.

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    You're having a larf!

'I handed my notice into my permie job a couple of weeks ago and now working through my 3 months notice period'

No point in looking now if you've got 3 months notice.
    No point in looking at all if you are asking others to decide for you (Contracting = Business, like someone saying: Is it a good time to open a shop in London? - Pointless to me)

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Considering you've handed your notice in, I would say now is as good a time as any to look at contracting...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X