• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview Test

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview Test

Calling in a favour to all those who have experienced this.

My colleauge (who is a permie) is going for another permie job and had her telephone interview today. She past this and the next stage they have told her she will have to perform a 15 min presentation.

She is a Test Analyst going for a Senior Test Analyst role what do you think the presentation could be about. I have never had to have a test so am calling on the experience of all you

Thanks in advance
    Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l View Post
    Calling in a favour to all those who have experienced this.

My colleauge (who is a permie) is going for another permie job and had her telephone interview today. She past this and the next stage they have told her she will have to perform a 15 min presentation.

She is a Test Analyst going for a Senior Test Analyst role what do you think the presentation could be about. I have never had to have a test so am calling on the experience of all you

Thanks in advance
    They could always phone up and ask...

My daughter (who is a software trainer) had to do a presentation for her current job. The interviewers were delighted not to have to sit through yet another talk on the benefits of pension payroll management training. Although what they did get - 25 minutes on Jack the Ripper - was maybe not what they expected either.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Something interesting and not related to the job.

When I joined Oracle, some of the topics that were presented were kick boxing and Jersey zoo. Can't remember any of the others, as I was too nervous thinking about how boring my one would seem compared to the others.

It's about the presentation style, and handling questions rather than the content, so make it interesting and something you know things about.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

When interviewing for a team lead, I'd ask the candidates to present, using the whiteboard, the organisation of their current client/employer team. They had no prior warning.

It was amazing how few people, even with several years of team leading, and management experience could do it.

On such a simple subject too.

One of the few "soft skill" training courses that's worth doing is presentation skills. ( Another is time management - unless your inately anal ).
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Something interesting and not related to the job.

When I joined Oracle, some of the topics that were presented were kick boxing and Jersey zoo. Can't remember any of the others, as I was too nervous thinking about how boring my one would seem compared to the others.

It's about the presentation style, and handling questions rather than the content, so make it interesting and something you know things about.
          I'd be wary of doing something non-job related where the role does not require you to have presentation skills. For a testing role they are possibly more interested in your approach to testing - so what a test strategy would include, for example - rather than your abaility to present on a non-related subject. I would be tempted to phone up and ask on the lines of "I don't want to bore you with something entirely unrelated to your needs so could you possibly give me some guidelines on what type of subject you would like to see me present on?"

Comment

I agree with WindyAnna - why would they want to hear about Jack the Ripper? I would assume if I was taking the interview that they had come to the wrong place!!
            We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
            - Douglas Adams

Comment

15 minutes on boundary value analysis and equivalence partitioning. When she wakes them up at the end they'll have to politely pretend it was good.

HTH
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

A Study into who is who on CUK.

Its like brookside only with AtW.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l View Post
                  they have told her she will have to perform a 15 min presentation.

She is a Test Analyst going for a Senior Test Analyst role
                  I'd actually be quite annoyed if I were in her position. I don't see what relevance it has to the role. A test analyst role consists of being sat at your desk doing a load of testing. You need to interact of course, and know what you are talking about in meetings and be able to communicate in an effective way about technical issues, but all that should have been covered in the interview. Presenting is an entirely different skill which in my view is completely unrelated to the role. It sounds to me like someone in HR with no understanding of the role for which they are recruiting is just coming up with random nonsense with which to amuse themselves.

What is the point of HR? A 'B Ark' collective if ever there was one.

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post
                    I'd actually be quite annoyed if I were in her position. I don't see what relevance it has to the role.
                    It's a permie job so there are other things to consider like career potential, how well they fit with the organisation and all the other b0ll0cks that I could never stand.

Comment

Working...
                    X