• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sunday shift cover

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday shift cover

Hi
    I'm working for a company on £x day rate, Monday - Friday. 8 hour professional day assumed.
    Have just been asked if I can cover a Sunday shift of 12 hours (7am-7pm) with the offer of time off in return (works for permies, but not me!).

What kind of response would you give? I'd like to say ok, but I'd need £x times y for the day. If I say yes, how much should y be?

Similar for 12 hour shift on a Monday too (been asked to do both or one of Sunday and Monday).

Should I not be saying yes based on IR35? Any thoughts at all appreciated.
    Thanks

I would charge time and a half on weekends.

Comment

First off you're not a permie.

Secondly it's double time on a Sunday isn't it?

You should be deciding when to do your work, not them. Covering for people and things like shifts sounds like permie work to me...

Comment

Obviously the Sunday bit might not fit with your personal circumstances, but based on your current 8x5 working pattern, if you did both shifts you could potentially reduce to 4 days/week but still doing the same number of hours.

Comment

If you are on a standard day rate with no specified hours then you are stuffed for the Monday shift. They can class it as part of your normal working hours - professional day and all that. For a 12 hour Sunday shift go for at least time and a half.

Personally I wouldn't do it. But thats just me.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Rates for any excess hours are written into my contract (not that I've had to do any)
            Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by funkyd View Post
              You should be deciding when to do your work, not them. Covering for people and things like shifts sounds like permie work to me...
              That's what I was thinking too. It's not something I want to introduce into this contract really cos right now I really am in control of when and how I work and I want it to stay that way.

But then I don't particularly want to sound unhelpful either!

Is there any premium to think about when going from an 8 hour day to a 12 hour day? Or do I just have to absorb that in the current day rate?

Just want to add that I've only been asked to do it as a one-off.
              Last edited by ruth11; 27 September 2007, 10:50.

Comment

My current project asked me if I would work weekends. I asked what rate they were paying and was told "normal rate", so I politely declined.

There is another thread somewhere discussing what people charge for weekends - some don't charge extra and some do.

My rule is that it's double time on a weekend as a minimum. Depends how desperate they are - might go up to triple time!
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by ruth11 View Post
                  That's what I was thinking too. It's not something I want to introduce into this contract really cos right now I really am in control of when and how I work and I want it to stay that way.

But then I don't particularly want to sound unhelpful either!

Is there any premium to think about when going from an 8 hour day to a 12 hour day? Or do I just have to absorb that in the current day rate?
                  Sounds like 4 hours overtime to me.

Think of a plumber. You hire him/her for an 8 hour day and then ask them if they can work 12 hours. Do you think they will just absorb the 4 extra hours?

Comment

Ruth

If it's a one off then you can offer to do it this time so long as you get 2 days paid leave for working the 12 hour shift. It's a simple trade off that keeps them happy and gives you a couple of days paid holiday

And then tell them that if it is required again, you will be charging 2x rate, per hour.

Comment

Working...
                    X