• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Sunday shift cover

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sunday shift cover"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    I prefer to work weekends if I can.

Less people in the office and usually means I can have days off in the week get stuff doen when every muppet in the planet isnt out shopping with the misses.
    Surely the roads are quieter on a Sunday anyway?

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    My current project asked me if I would work weekends. I asked what rate they were paying and was told "normal rate", so I politely declined.

There is another thread somewhere discussing what people charge for weekends - some don't charge extra and some do.

My rule is that it's double time on a weekend as a minimum. Depends how desperate they are - might go up to triple time!
    I prefer to work weekends if I can.

Less people in the office and usually means I can have days off in the week get stuff doen when every muppet in the planet isnt out shopping with the misses.

Leave a comment:

• ruth11
    replied
    I've been offered 2 days of TOIL in exchange for the Sunday 12 hour shift, but seeing as I work from home at least 2 days a week anyway, I'm not really sure that's worth my while.
    I'm trying to say no without sounding obstructive!

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by kirk View Post
    FWIF - If I work a weekend (only happened once in the past year) then it's the same daily rate as during the week.
    Same here but then it has only happened once and I was finished by Lunch time.

Leave a comment:

• kirk
    replied
    FWIF - If I work a weekend (only happened once in the past year) then it's the same daily rate as during the week.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I'm not opposed to taking TOIL instead of cash, but the exchange rate needs to be better than 1:1

I don't work weekends for normal rates - whether that's paid in cash or in some other form.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Ask for 2 week days of TOIL in exchange !?

Leave a comment:

• mace
    replied
    Be careful

I didn't get renewed once because I asked for extra money for covering late shifts whilst the 2 newbie contractors in the other team happily agreed to take time off in lieu.

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    End of Normal Day - Midnight: 1.5 x
    Midnight Onwards: 2 x
    Sat: 1.5 x
    Sun: 2 x
    Bank Holidays: 3 x

Leave a comment:

• ruth11
    replied
    Thanks Tazman, that sounds like a good option.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Ruth

If it's a one off then you can offer to do it this time so long as you get 2 days paid leave for working the 12 hour shift. It's a simple trade off that keeps them happy and gives you a couple of days paid holiday

And then tell them that if it is required again, you will be charging 2x rate, per hour.

Leave a comment:

• dgunner
    replied
    Originally posted by ruth11 View Post
    That's what I was thinking too. It's not something I want to introduce into this contract really cos right now I really am in control of when and how I work and I want it to stay that way.

But then I don't particularly want to sound unhelpful either!

Is there any premium to think about when going from an 8 hour day to a 12 hour day? Or do I just have to absorb that in the current day rate?
    Sounds like 4 hours overtime to me.

Think of a plumber. You hire him/her for an 8 hour day and then ask them if they can work 12 hours. Do you think they will just absorb the 4 extra hours?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    My current project asked me if I would work weekends. I asked what rate they were paying and was told "normal rate", so I politely declined.

There is another thread somewhere discussing what people charge for weekends - some don't charge extra and some do.

My rule is that it's double time on a weekend as a minimum. Depends how desperate they are - might go up to triple time!

Leave a comment:

• ruth11
    replied
    Originally posted by funkyd View Post
    You should be deciding when to do your work, not them. Covering for people and things like shifts sounds like permie work to me...
    That's what I was thinking too. It's not something I want to introduce into this contract really cos right now I really am in control of when and how I work and I want it to stay that way.

But then I don't particularly want to sound unhelpful either!

Is there any premium to think about when going from an 8 hour day to a 12 hour day? Or do I just have to absorb that in the current day rate?

Just want to add that I've only been asked to do it as a one-off.
    Last edited by ruth11; 27 September 2007, 10:50.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Rates for any excess hours are written into my contract (not that I've had to do any)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X