• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any one feeling the pinch ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any one feeling the pinch ?

Its almost a month now since i started hunting for contracts based in the finance sector for testing ... i could only get cold calls from agencies... no interviews..nothing.. does any one feeling the pinch this month??? .. after the market bubble ..

I am getting 3-4 calls a day and some of them say that they are sending my cv to the client but then I never hear from them again.

Comment

Yes it is VERY quiet at the moment. The past 2 or 3 months in fact have been dire.

Comment

It's nothing to do with the market bubble really, in every year there is a lean month or two, usually its August and July, but this year Aug/July just kept on rolling with people hiring, but the slow month has to come sometime and unfortunately it looks like you have landed right in the centre of it.

Comment

I'm feeling the pinch. Had to take my suit trousers back to Austin Reed to let an inch out. Is that what you mean?

Comment

Personally I think there's more to it than that - this time round. Current market circumstances are dictating that many organisations will be taking a view to reigning in costs to prepare for the storm further ahead. I wouldn't be surprised to see projects cut back and budgets slashed soon.

I've noticed this in the financial sector - it's not looking great for the skillsets I am aware of, but it would be good to hear from people with more mainstream skills.

Might be a good time to go permie for a couple of years, or get a long sticky contract to tide you over.

Comment

I'd agree. I'm in risk management and whilst I'm secure until March 08 not sure what'll be happening after that.
              Have patience. In time, even grass becomes milk.

Comment

It comes and goes. Last month, when I was looking, I didn't get anywhere really. This month, now that I've extended on current gig, quite a few calls for stuff I'd like to do!
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

anyone else had to get their trousers adjusted????

Comment

Originally posted by RightLaugh View Post
                    anyone else had to get their trousers adjusted????
                    I've just had mine taken up by an inch or two as they were the sort that come un-finished... cost me £5:60... the girl doing the measuring justified the expense though... grrrrr

Comment

Working...
                    X