• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCG worth it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    PCGPlus is £210 a year and that buys you benefits worth £735
    I'd like to see those figures

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
      Well to see the figures (and find out why it's not a proper business expense) you first have to pay the money. Doesn't this sort of set-up just scream SCAM?

Go QDOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
        There are some shiny pie charts in the latest Freelancing MAtters that demonstrates it very well. They will be on the PCG website soon as well, I'll drop a link when they are.

Originally posted by not_very_hugebrain
        Well to see the figures (and find out why it's not a proper business expense) you first have to pay the money. Doesn't this sort of set-up just scream SCAM?
        Don't be pathetic, you don't need to pay to see their promotional material, it is a legitimate business expense and it's not even a commercial organisation. Why the hell would they need to scam anyone?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Well sorry to disappoint malvolio, but apparently the PCG can only advise on whether a contract falls in or outside IR35. They can't apparently advise on liabilities on parties wanting to end restrictive contracts. Nor do they seem to want to help P4 contractors get any answers to resolve the mess they find themselves in. Instead they promote their umbrella 'partner' to lure P4 contractors into a bigger mess trying to walk away from the P4 mess.

The whole thing stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by mad-dog View Post
            Well sorry to disappoint malvolio, but apparently the PCG can only advise on whether a contract falls in or outside IR35. They can't apparently advise on liabilities on parties wanting to end restrictive contracts. Nor do they seem to want to help P4 contractors get any answers to resolve the mess they find themselves in. Instead they promote their umbrella 'partner' to lure P4 contractors into a bigger mess trying to walk away from the P4 mess.

The whole thing stinks.
            Their free tax and legal helplines can, assuming you're a member.

And don't go on at me about P4, I've been banging that particular drum ever since it kicked off on here (and for a long time before that, if the truth be told). But there are legal restrictions on what can and can't be done. AFAIK, there are 74 P4 clients in the PCG, why aren't they asking their own questions directly? Email [email protected] and tell them, as per http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?...945&Itemid=566
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Don't be pathetic, you don't need to pay to see their promotional material, it is a legitimate business expense and it's not even a commercial organisation. Why the hell would they need to scam anyone?
              If it's a legitimate business expense why is it not deductable?

Comment

Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post
                If it's a legitimate business expense why is it not deductable?
                It is, but not from CT, because of some arcane rules about trade bodies. I've explained why as best I can, I'm not doing it again. If you're not a member, it doesn't matter a damn anyway, if you are you can look it up for yourself.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

There are some shiny pie charts in the latest Freelancing MAtters that demonstrates it very well. They will be on the PCG website soon as well, I'll drop a link when they are.

Spoken by someone truly up the arse of the PCG.

It's not a "Professional Body", what are the qualifications for membership?

Comment

malvolio you don't have to join the PCG to get the level of advice they offer through their helplines.

Most simple home legal policies costing far less than the annual PCG membership can provide the same if not better level of professional advice. The advice is also given unwritten so useless if you intend using it as evidence to build a case.

As for IR35 review most qualified accountants offer it as part of their fees which are tax deductable whilst the PCG fees are not.

Comment

Working...
                    X