• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCG worth it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Socially, the fora are always interesting
    I find them a pain the the @rse to navigate through.

And have they fixed the login problems yet?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      I find them a pain the the @rse to navigate through.

And have they fixed the login problems yet?
      It's being worked on. They even think that they can cure the double log-in (which, incidentally, doesn't happen on teh Dev server, so I'm hopeful it will make it to the live one)
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The joint membership having to share one login was allways a problem for me, it meant that me and my business partner were essentially the same person as far as the fora were concerened.

Can joint memberships have multiple logins yet?

Comment

The PCG is worth it, in my opinion, but then I have to say that

There are arguments for and against, and frankly, some of the againsts are pretty weak, but hey, if it matters to you...

The big reason for joining is that you become part of the community of contractors that take our lifestyle seriously - the PCG are here to protect us all and the way we work. We're talking an a regular basis now with the Treasury who are now taking us seriously as advisers - long way to go, I admit, but the conversations are taking place (prevention measures).

And of course, you might find better forums and cheaper insurance, but is your discount insurance co going to finance something like Arctic? We may be trying to buddy up to Government to be heard, but by god if they try something like Arctic the PCG is here to take it all the way to the Lords. (The Curative Measures)
          We risked a million quid to save all of us billions - members and non-members. If you're happy to let someone else do that for you, then go on, but then letting someone else look after you isn't the true contractor way, now is it?

Even if you're not sure, why not take the risk for the sake of the price of a decent night out.*

*Note - the PCG is in no way comparable with a good night out, before anyone complains! No refunds
          World's Best Martini

Comment

Been a memeber since 2000 best I ever did and got plenty of gigs as a result.
            sorry Diver I'm off the cigs again

Comment

Worth it for a newbie. They don't really offer much for the experienced contractor though.
              Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
                Worth it for a newbie. They don't really offer much for the experienced contractor though.
                Wouldn't say that. Most of the guys haunting the fora have been around since the beginning, and the average age of the mebership is well above that of the industry as a whole. As a minimum, everyone needs anti-IR35 insurance - no matter how solid your position it won't stop you getting investigated - and the PCG package is a no-brainer financially.

And there is still useful information coming through - for instance, did you know your subs are not offsetable agaisnt CT?
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

And there is still useful information coming through - for instance, did you know your subs are not offsetable agaisnt CT?
                  They aren't ??? I thought membership/subscription was allowed ?

If I wasn't in business then I wouldn't need to subscribe ?

Comment

Wouldn't say that. Most of the guys haunting the fora have been around since the beginning, and the average age of the mebership is well above that of the industry as a whole. As a minimum, everyone needs anti-IR35 insurance - no matter how solid your position it won't stop you getting investigated - and the PCG package is a no-brainer financially.

Just started trading as a limited company here in the UK on 3rd September. Is there a school of thought that says I'm unlikely to get investigated (for whatever reason be it IR35, NI or other) in my first years trading? Or I should crack on with PCG insurance as soon as the invoice gets paid?

Comment

It's not likely you'll get investigated until you've been trading at least a year and submitted something to HMRC. For £120 I'd rather not take even that small risk.

But I'll say it again, PCG is not about insurance, it's about representation of contractors to HMG and the sharing of useful advice and information. The insurance is a welcome side-effect
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X