• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MoD Security Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MoD Security Clearance

Is it possible to get this [security clearance] working as a contract Project Manager through an agency?

Or is this a catch 22 situation i.e. you can't get it [sc] unless you have previously had it etc. Thoughts anoyone?

Originally posted by Sundance View Post
    Is it possible to get this [security clearance] working as a contract Project Manager through an agency?

Or is this a catch 22 situation i.e. you can't get it [sc] unless you have previously had it etc. Thoughts anoyone?
    It's a Catch 22.

Despite the rules (basically, you can't be denied interview because you haven't got clearance and you can't be denied work if the job will take longer to complete than gaining clearance takes), the reality is if a contractor hasn't got clearance, it's not worth applying, the agency will bounce your application.

We continue to argue the point with the Cabinet Office, but don't hold your breath. Too many vested interests are in the way. In practice 30% of the available work is only on offer to less than 10% of the potential workforce - but that's only fair...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

So on the flip side, if you're a PM with SC then you should have plenty of work!

Comment

I am a PM with SC clearance which expires in 2009. I am concerned that I will be less in demand when it expires.

Is there anything I can do, or any steps I can take to try to get it renewed before then? What do contractors normally do if there SC is about to expire?

P

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          It's a Catch 22.

Despite the rules (basically, you can't be denied interview because you haven't got clearance and you can't be denied work if the job will take longer to complete than gaining clearance takes), the reality is if a contractor hasn't got clearance, it's not worth applying, the agency will bounce your application.

We continue to argue the point with the Cabinet Office, but don't hold your breath. Too many vested interests are in the way. In practice 30% of the available work is only on offer to less than 10% of the potential workforce - but that's only fair...
          Not true - I'm not security cleared, but am working on a security cleared project (since June) waiting for the clearance to come through.

Not MoD, though, so maybe it's different.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Keep working for people who require SC?

Seriously that's the only answer. I've been cleared four times to SC in the last 13 years (and how stupid is that...), the last time I was given the usual 5 years but haven't been on a secure site for two years, so if I go back I would need to be cleared all over again. Except that won't happen since now I can't even get to the interview stage.

Also, EDS and others are actually complaining now that they can't find the quality of contrators they require to do the jobs they need doing because of the clearnce rules limiting them to 10% of the market. Go figure...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
              I am a PM with SC clearance which expires in 2009. I am concerned that I will be less in demand when it expires.

Is there anything I can do, or any steps I can take to try to get it renewed before then? What do contractors normally do if there SC is about to expire?

P
              If you're working on a project when it's about to expire, explain to the client that you need to get it renewed, and they should be able to do it for you. Make sure you allow 3 months to get it sorted though.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Sundance View Post

Having had it previously and letting it lapse makes no difference, since essentially it's just a point in time check.

If you have clearance and don't use it for a year, then it expires regardless of the actual expiration date on the clearance.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Keep working for people who require SC?

Also, EDS and others are actually complaining now that they can't find the quality of contrators they require to do the jobs they need doing because of the clearnce rules limiting them to 10% of the market. Go figure...
                  What a ridiculous situation I find myself in with regards to MoD type contracts:-

- I have a digital British Passport having being born and lived here all my life;
                  - I have a digital EU/British driving licence/id card;
                  - I have proof of residency;
                  - I have all of the PM certs. (PRINCE2 Practitioner/PMBOK level), qualifications and, probably, experience required (10+ years);
                  - I have already undergone Security Watchdog clearance for a major pharmaceutical company that check almost everything under the sun;

I've even worked for BAe Defence Systems, in a previous life (15+ years ago) on an MoD contract in the Middle East, AND I STILL CAN'T GET an interview because I don’t have these 2 letters [SC] somewhere on my CV.

WHAT'S GOING ON IN THIS COUNTRY!....... I suppose if I was an illegal immigrant I could turn to the "Human Rights Act" and get straight in on one of these SC Contracts.

Comment

Is clearance renewal something we can pay for ourselves on a business justification?

Does anyone know how much it costs to renew SC clearance?

Comment

Working...
                    X