• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a set of Bankers!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once had a reverse furlough when working for a national bookmakers in 2012. It was coming up to Christmas and I assumed I wouldn't be working until we all got pulled into a meeting about a week before and I was told they wanted me to work. Firstly I pointed out the trains weren't running so I couldn't get to the office but was told I could WFH (which wasn't as common in those days). Then I pointed out the developers worked in the Arctic Circle and were packing up for Christmas so I would likely have nothing to do, to which I was told management would be more comfortable if I was available.

Having done my very best to not waste their money I spent the period between Christmas and New Year logging in at 1000 and logging out again at 1500 claiming my daily rate.

Comment

I do remember working at one retail client that had a rule about working only 210 or 220 days a year. Can't remember the exact number. Wasn't a problem for most as you'd be under that taking a couple of holidays and not working the xmas. A couple of the die hard guys who never took holidays etc got caught by it and had to take time off to meet it. Was only one client and can't remember if it was in place at any others but I don't really care as I do like my holidays.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I do remember working at one retail client that had a rule about working only 210 or 220 days a year. Can't remember the exact number. Wasn't a problem for most as you'd be under that taking a couple of holidays and not working the xmas. A couple of the die hard guys who never took holidays etc got caught by it and had to take time off to meet it. Was only one client and can't remember if it was in place at any others but I don't really care as I do like my holidays.
        I remember one client wanting us to do overtime. One week I billed for 8 days (cue Beatles song). Happy days!

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post

I remember one client wanting us to do overtime. One week I billed for 8 days (cue Beatles song). Happy days!
          Overtime (shudder). Such a permie term. They wanted you to do extra billable work you mean.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have seen a few Xmas furloughs but been exempted.

Noting really happens over Xmas so furloughs make a lot of sense.

That said I have met a lot of contractors for whom losing even a single billable day off was like losing parent for them.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
              That said I have met a lot of contractors for whom losing even a single billable day off was like losing parent for them.
              The worst thing about being a contractor is having to deal with other contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post

I worked the investment banking sector for 10 years and I can assure you summer furloughs never were a thing in that sector.
                +1 WHS !

Comment

I must have been lucky... in 11 years I've only had two clients that had a xmas furlough (both FS firms) and both times my project's critical timescale meant I was exempt.

During Covid, I had one local government client that tried to being in 10% rate cuts at renewals to reflect the supposed savings in travel costs due to WFH. A lot of contractors stood their ground and the client backed down eventually.

On the flip side (and this is very rare I imagine), I once had an enforced 30% temporary pay cut as a permie at a small consultancy and was repaid. We were told that the company was hoping to win a couple of new clients and would pay us back. A few people voted against taking the cut and ended up being made redundant. I accepted and nine months later I was paid back all the money I was owed. When I left the company just as I was getting married, the directors even gave me a very large cash wedding gift.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                    Isn't it to do with fraud? The thinking is if you have a scam going it will unravel in a fortnight.

You used to have to have two weeks off together when I worked in Share Registration 25 years ago.
                    That was always my understanding. When banks asked if clients had had any breaks in contract, the enforced break would regularly pop up.

Comment

Working...
                    X