• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor to perm?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor to perm?

A former colleague's been in touch asking about switching from contract to perm with the same client... good money from what he's told me (circa £100k for a senior BA role), not too bad a client, and remote first.

It's not something that I know much about to be honest, but I know that there are a few threads around here on that very subject... though I'll be damned if I can find them.

So, what's the current thinking about switching to the dark side, and do you have any links to earlier discussions?

Thanks.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Here are a couple of previous threads:
    contract to permanent - Contractor UK Bulletin Board
    Client requests me to go permie - Contractor UK Bulletin Board

The main issue is whether the current contract is inside or outside IR35. If it's inside and you go permanent, no problem. If it's outside and then you go perm, it raises the question of whether it was really outside or just a tax dodge. I.e. this might attract extra scrutiny from HMRC, which you might prefer to avoid.

Comment

To be fair you should know about it. If you know enough about IR35 then you should know quite a bit about it.

At the very least you should know the first thing to ask is what the IR35 of their contract is.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        To be fair you should know about it....

...At the very least you should know the first thing to ask is what the IR35 of their contract is.
        To be fair: I did, but I stopped paying attention a good few years ago. I don't know what, if anything, has changed, so thought to ask.

It seems that not much has and that the old considerations still hold.

It would be good to get a few different perspectives, but it's striking, as far as I can see from the threads above, that no one has switched AND then been caught up in an investigation, let alone found liable for tax due on past fees.

Maybe those horror stories are still licking their wounds in some dark corner.

---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

To be fair: I did, but I stopped paying attention a good few years ago. I don't know what, if anything, has changed, so thought to ask.

It seems that not much has and that the old considerations still hold.

It would be good to get a few different perspectives, but it's striking, as far as I can see from the threads above, that no one has switched AND then been caught up in an investigation, let alone found liable for tax due on past fees.

This reply implies that your “friend” was outside IR35. Rather than evading answering simple questions like that, it would be helpful if you gave straight answers to them.

how long has your friend been at the client?
          if they have a lucrative contract, why are they wanting to go perm?
          of course, if we go down the rabbit warren of your reply above, what % of people on here have gone perm?
          of that, how many have gone perm with their current client?
          and of that, how many have been in an outside IR35 contract with the client at that time?
          and of that, how many have been caught by hector?
          and of that list, how many would have openly declared on here that they were outside IR35, running their own company, and want to know who to blame for being caught?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It's all about what your approach to risk is. Yes it can cause issues if HRMC looks at it, the question is, will they ever? also depends how long the contract was before switching, you can calculate how much you'd owe if you got caught and then reserve the money for it, or just not care, depends on how much savings you have. As usual, it all depends.

There's been masses switching from contracts to perm when the IR35 changes came around and I've not seen a single story here that anyone ever got investigated. Maybe HMRC knew this would happen and never cared? or maybe some got caught, but never thought to come here to talk about it? My opinion is that unless HMRC can squeeze out a fair chunk of money from you, they won't bother, they already struggle with resources for basic stuff, let alone investigation to get an extra few grand from some random bloke doing IT somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
              To be fair ensignia was (is) very vocal when we start quoting legislation and saying rather you than me etc because of the lack of evidence of investigations, particularly around the time the changes were announced and implemented.. and to give him credit he wasn't wrong BUT it doesn't mean he's right. I'm sure someone said don't go with offshore umbrellas but nothing happened for a few years and they ended up being right. Who really knows and it's an attitude to risk. Despite giving ensignia a nod that he wasn't wrong I do think it's right to quote chapter and verse and tell people to be very wary as one opinion. Once that person understands the gravity of a possible outcome then they can go away and apply their own level of risk to it. I think it's totally wrong to go in and say F*** it no one cares just do it. Both ensignia and the rest of the theory crowd actually make a balanced thread IMO.

So is it still to come? Is lack of evidence mean it's open seaon? Dunno, possibly yes but balance that with three thoughts. One is that we don't know how many are settled early. We don't see evidence of tax investigations but they do happen. Two could the lack of evidence be because a vast majority are following the rules so HMRC got what they wanted and it's not worth the effort. If we all said screw it and didn't care about the legislation then HMRC would have a golden goose and it's worth them coming looking and thirdly as a bonus we've got a change of gov coming in. Who knows what will happen.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

This reply implies that your “friend” was outside IR35. Rather than evading answering simple questions like that, it would be helpful if you gave straight answers to them.

how long has your friend been at the client?
                if they have a lucrative contract, why are they wanting to go perm?
                of course, if we go down the rabbit warren of your reply above, what % of people on here have gone perm?
                of that, how many have gone perm with their current client?
                and of that, how many have been in an outside IR35 contract with the client at that time?
                and of that, how many have been caught by hector?
                and of that list, how many would have openly declared on here that they were outside IR35, running their own company, and want to know who to blame for being caught?
                I'll assume good faith, so yes, this is for someone else.

I don't know anyone who has taken an inside role.

I wasn't paying sufficient attention to answer NL's though I'd intended to when I started my reply.

Perhaps those answers are straight enough for you.

Now, off you pop and don't be treating me like some wet behind the ears, Johnny come lately.
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                  It's all about what your approach to risk is.
                  This is the crux of the matter for me.

I'm generally quite risk averse as I CBA trawling through the various bits and bobs of legislation, guidance, and reporting for the wiggle room.

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                  There's been masses switching from contracts to perm when the IR35 changes came around and I've not seen a single story here that anyone ever got investigated. Maybe HMRC knew this would happen and never cared? or maybe some got caught, but never thought to come here to talk about it? My opinion is that unless HMRC can squeeze out a fair chunk of money from you, they won't bother, they already struggle with resources for basic stuff, let alone investigation to get an extra few grand from some random bloke doing IT somewhere.
                  This second paragraph is pretty much aligned to my thinking. And I've said as much, but feel that my view is likely out of date... albeit, apparently not by much.
                  Last edited by wattaj; 26 June 2024, 13:13.
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Averse

Comment

Working...
                    X