• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you manage gaps in CV?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you manage gaps in CV?

Given the market conditions as of today, some or many of us would have faced quiet period in contracting life that would have forced us being jobless. This gap ranges from couple of months to even a year or more in bench. But when you apply for a suitable role with absolute honesty either the recruiter or the client might view this gap as a weakness of the individual (lack of skills) rather than gracefully accepting that market conditions were bad.

How do you manage such gaps so that it won't hinder in finding your next role? What's your go-to strategy?

If there are a lot of gaps in a persons CV history I'd certainly be questioning their abilities, bad market or not.

It's understandable to have a few short gaps over the course of a long contracting career, but on here I see people talking about spending 9 months on the bench. They must just not be very competent or don't know how to market themselves.

Comment

I use months for beginning and end of contracts which can cover short gaps, maybe up to 2 months, for longer gaps I just leave it as is. In my CV I have gaps of 7 months and a couple of 6 months all by choice mind. So far these haven't been an issue, and when I asked I just tell the truth.... the 7 month gap was following divorce, I'd left a permie role of 6 years and I wanted to take stock and have a breather from everything and then I started a contract.

Comment

I had a 4 monther approach xmas once. No one has ever mentioned it and now it's three gigs ago I doubt they even read that far anymore.

It is a shame agents get so hung up on it as it's a natural part of the work but ensignia does have a point. I think most of us know a contractor that has a raft of 3 month gigs with a month or so in between which speaks volumes. A large gap between multiple gigs could also look bad but can be confused by a successful contractor that takes them by choice. Depends how experienced you are overall and how long ago it was I guess.

I do the same as Gables as well so a month can be hidden easily. The rest, you'll just have to put it in and have a good reason ready.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I tried honest approach several times and realised it didn't work for me. These days I am forced to use 'fillers' even though I didn't like it.

Comment

Training, personal projects, holiday, family commitments. Lots of reasons can go into gaps but I wouldn't volunteer it unless someone read the dates closely enough to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post
              If there are a lot of gaps in a persons CV history I'd certainly be questioning their abilities, bad market or not.

It's understandable to have a few short gaps over the course of a long contracting career, but on here I see people talking about spending 9 months on the bench. They must just not be very competent or don't know how to market themselves.
              So what if you role is as a senior consultant brought in to architect, fix or otherwise improve something, or implement some business change? Do repeat visits or multiple extensions imply you are good at what you do or not...?

It's never one size fits all. And continuous engagements over a long period merely means your skills are in ready demand but also are readily available.

I my case, the CV is (or rather was) 20-something years as a lead consultant for MyCo, with individual significant engagements as required to support the current application. Hence, no gaps - at least none that a junior agent would spot.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Only had 5 months out in 25 years and that was due to Covid. Explain it as such and nobody has a problem with it. I know somebody who would work 6 months of the year, then have 6 off by choice. Did it for years and never had an issue. Some companies will probably have an issue with gaps, but a lot won't. Don't think you can lie about such things anymore anyway, as most roles I have done over the last few years they want history of last three years work and check on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

Absolute nonsense. In a market downturn competency doesn't come into it when looking for a new role.

Comment

I finished my last contract on November the 24th and was interviewed and accepted for my current one about two weeks afterwards but due to delays didn't start until a fortnight ago. Not entirely sure that is my fault.

That said it could have been left on November 1st and started on January 31st and it would look the same on my CV as I only go to the nearest month.

Comment

Working...
                    X