• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is NTT?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is NTT?

I was trying to decide where to put this, but it can go here. I've noticed a tendency with Wipro/Infosys/Tata employees to create acronyms or abbreviations from almost any word or phrase. It doesn't tend to speed up conversations, as others are left wondering what this latest TLA/FLA is. I'm not sure if they think it makes them look smart, but it doesn't.
    Normally I can work them out, but I came across one today and I've no idea, and neither does my client. The client will frequently ask us longer-in-the-tooth people if we've heard of person x or company y. They don't always apply logic to who they ask, but sometimes it's fuzzy logic.
    I got asked to look at a CV because they know I've worked with NTT (Nippon Telegraph and Telephone) in Japan. They are not just a phone company but also logistics and several other things too.
    This CV mentioned NTT, so it came to me. The person said they had worked as NTT for BT. It's clear they don't mean they pretended to be a Japanese company while working for BT, but I suspect it is something to do with testing/software validation as I know they are struggling.

So, does anyone know what NTT stands for?
    (serious answers only)

...and a hint to anyone who is writing their CV/LinkedIn profile: while you might think it impresses your mates to use acronyms, if you can't use language that your clients will understand, then they'll bypass you for someone else.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Is there a possibility that NTT were contracted by BT to deliver something?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      I was trying to decide where to put this, but it can go here. I've noticed a tendency with Wipro/Infosys/Tata employees to create acronyms or abbreviations from almost any word or phrase. It doesn't tend to speed up conversations, as others are left wondering what this latest TLA/FLA is. I'm not sure if they think it makes them look smart, but it doesn't.
      Normally I can work them out, but I came across one today and I've no idea, and neither does my client. The client will frequently ask us longer-in-the-tooth people if we've heard of person x or company y. They don't always apply logic to who they ask, but sometimes it's fuzzy logic.
      I got asked to look at a CV because they know I've worked with NTT (Nippon Telegraph and Telephone) in Japan. They are not just a phone company but also logistics and several other things too.
      This CV mentioned NTT, so it came to me. The person said they had worked as NTT for BT. It's clear they don't mean they pretended to be a Japanese company while working for BT, but I suspect it is something to do with testing/software validation as I know they are struggling.

So, does anyone know what NTT stands for?
      (serious answers only)

...and a hint to anyone who is writing their CV/LinkedIn profile: while you might think it impresses your mates to use acronyms, if you can't use language that your clients will understand, then they'll bypass you for someone else.
      Work in testing and never heard the acronym NTT. There is an Indian consultancy called NTT Data.

Comment

Originally posted by avonleigh View Post
        There is an Indian consultancy called NTT Data.
        No, there's a Japanese company called NTT Data, which is a subsidiary of NTT (as mentioned above).

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Is there a possibility that NTT were contracted by BT to deliver something?
          I considered that a possibility, but the way he describes himself is that his role was "NTT" at BT, not that he was working for NTT who were doing work at BT.

It would make more sense to say he was working for NTT, but the way he's worded his CV it doesn't come across as that.

Comment

Well, there's N-tier architecture, so N-tier tester? Only half joking.

Comment

Knowing the offshore bods working as NTT for BT could easily be working for NTT for BT. Like they might say they work as TCS for BT. Could definintely fall in to the standard translation oddities we see in most emails from our offshore friends.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Network Testing Trainee
                Network Transition Tester
                Network Topology Tester
                Network Technlogy Tester

Or as you are implying Indian companies…
                Needful TT

Comment

Just contacted a friend who works for NTT. Turns out that yes, the person whose CV is in front of me is working for them, and was working through them in BT.
                  When I mentioned the person's name, there was a nervous laugh.

Case closed.

Comment

Ah, so Not Taking Thank-you.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X