• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Closing my ltd company: help me take away the pain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be tempted to pay a lot of it into pension fund

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Yes, you should probably take the hit and get over yourself .

You're unlikely to do any better than 10%. If you're working through an umbrella, you're already maxing out your pension and salary/dividends probably aren't a good option either. If you have no clear use for the company in the next year or two, it is costing you to maintain it, with little upside.

Oh, and BADR won't be around forever. In fact, perhaps not beyond next April (we've been speculating for years, of course, but Labour has explicitly targeted it in the recent past).
      Years and years of speculation around ER and BADR has resulted in nothing other than a little nerfing, enough to p1ss off the big wigs but unlikely to affect 99% of Ltd Co owners that MVL or sell. I MVL'd a couple of years ago and even then there was constant noise about how BADR would be removed. Yes it worried me, but fortunately (in a way) it was the right time for me to retire from contracting and so I rushed through my liquidation.

Moneyboxing was another term thrown around in buckets at the time. Again, worried me as that was part of my retirement planning, but again the bark was worse than the bite.

But yes, OP should just take the very beneficial 10% hit and move on. It's one of the most important aspects of running a business, having the choice to use BADR at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
        I'd be tempted to pay a lot of it into pension fund
        I though that.
        But forcing your LTD company into a loss by paying excessive pension payments is a no-no.
        It's the deliberate act of paying into pension when there isn't any current operating profit that's the issue.
        The fact that it's retained profit makes no odds.

That's according to my accountant.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

I though that.
          But forcing your LTD company into a loss by paying excessive pension payments is a no-no.
          It's the deliberate act of paying into pension when there isn't any current operating profit that's the issue.
          The fact that it's retained profit makes no odds.

That's according to my accountant.
          Yep we've had similar comments from accountants to that end before. I believe 'CTM60670 - Close companies: extended meaning of distribution: payments to participators - excessive amounts' which mentions excessive payments exceeding reasonable commercial considerations being an issue and not getting the relief on it you expect.

There are a whole host of BIM's on examples of what is trade and allowable or excessive and not but they can get very confusing.

But whatever.. WLS.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think you're very unlikely to have an employer pension contribution not meet the wholly and exclusively test, regardless of how large it is. Large payments are routine with the carry forward rules.

Making payments that exceed profits in a given year is another matter, though...

Comment

Working...
            X