• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie job for company with HQ in Cyprus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsc View Post
    I'd pass purely based on the fact that the HQ is based in Cyprus ie. probably doesn't offer much in terms of salary vs average salaries on the UK market.
    I'm pretty sure most normal people would seek to clarify the "probably" before jumping straight to that decision.
    I'm also sure many of them would consider (many) other aspects before making their decision purely on one aspect - that may or may not have a bearing on another factor that could, apparently, affect the decision.

Hyperbole rules!

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
      I'd pass purely based on the fact that the HQ is based in Cyprus ie. probably doesn't offer much in terms of salary vs average salaries on the UK market.
      Gambling companies operate under flags of convience. I don't think the salaries of the people closest to the brass plate has much bearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post

I'm pretty sure most normal people would seek to clarify the "probably" before jumping straight to that decision.
        I'm also sure many of them would consider (many) other aspects before making their decision purely on one aspect - that may or may not have a bearing on another factor that could, apparently, affect the decision.

Hyperbole rules!
        Yup fair enough, let me rephrase that then: I'd probably not hope for much salary-wise, but probe anyway

Comment

an unusual location for the gambling industry.
          Most are UK based with branches, and 3rd party suppliers, in Isle of Man, Gibraltar (UK general rules but exempt from some gambling legislation).

Cyprus = dodgy Russian money. IMO.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I worked for one of the main high street gambling firms about ten years ago and some of the management's relationship with suppliers suggested to me they, at best, had gone native or at worst were 'induced' to ensure continued business no matter what they did or didn't deliver. Going back even further I worked for an American start up in the dot com boom that came to the UK to get round the US gambling laws. I heard afterwards one of the directors was investigated for money laundering.

It can be a murky business so stay away if something smells slightly off.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
              I worked for one of the main high street gambling firms about ten years ago and some of the management's relationship with suppliers suggested to me they, at best, had gone native or at worst were 'induced' to ensure continued business no matter what they did or didn't deliver. Going back even further I worked for an American start up in the dot com boom that came to the UK to get round the US gambling laws. I heard afterwards one of the directors was investigated for money laundering.

It can be a murky business so stay away if something smells slightly off.

It's a business that relies almost exclusively on intentional exploitation of vulnerable people. It's no different to being senior leader at a tobacco company, you have to be a little wrong in the head. If you can sleep easy whilst profiting from human death, then victimless money laundering is child's play.

Comment

Working...
              X