• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 contracts concurrently one perm and one inside

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    It’s more a case of checking contracts. At least one of those will probably stipulate that you can’t work for others at the same time.

If the OP knows the risks and accepts the consequences of breaking said contract, it’s not our business how he goes about his life.

At least he can’t say that no one told him.
    If he just said 'probably against contracts, there is a risk' that would be fine, although not actual answering OP's question. That isn't what he posts though.

He lectures about the sanctity of contract at the same time as telling people to suck it up when the client/agent/employer screws them over.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

If he just said 'probably against contracts, there is a risk' that would be fine, although not actual answering OP's question. That isn't what he posts though.

He lectures about the sanctity of contract at the same time as telling people to suck it up when the client/agent/employer screws them over.
      Actually he follows much the same line as I've been advocating since forever - be smart enough to realise when the fight is not worth taking on and when a business risk could cost you a lot more than what you're going to earn from it.

Elegant use of English could be improved though. For example, "self sufficient in the art of love" rather than " ".

However this is not the forum for this discussion.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

This is fine to do, as long as you are smart about it.

Last month end client binned a contractor for very obviously running two roles. Wouldn't respond for hours, disappeared, didn't do any work.

If your permie job paymaster is happy that you complete work allocated and you find it easy, there is no issue with you taking on another role. An inside contract is perfect for this. You won't find any clause for hours worked enforced, which by the way is one of the silliest things I've ever read on this forum. Gain evidence you're pleasing your permie employer and maintain this. If you're stupid, do not run two roles at the same time, because you're stupid and will eventually get caught. Getting banned from this forum or from a niche client might be ok, but HR records exist across large companies and definitely across public sector departments. Notes on any clearances exist.

Your priority permie employer sounds fine with your work, so a second role with the same attitude is fine and can be dropped, adhering to notice periods, if that situation changes.

I agree with others about the permetractor comments here regarding owing an employer 40 hours a week. Take life as it is, not as it is written to be. I have never once seen any isolated working clause enforced for anything except executive roles with serious conflict of interest, which I'm sure Edison can comment on.

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero View Post
          I have never once seen any isolated working clause enforced for anything except executive roles with serious conflict of interest, which I'm sure Edison can comment on.
          It's never worth pursuing really, just get rid and move on. In reality most of the terms around them are unenforceable. Courts as a point of public policy do not look kindly on 'restraint of trade'.

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero View Post
            This is fine to do, as long as you are smart about it.

Last month end client binned a contractor for very obviously running two roles. Wouldn't respond for hours, disappeared, didn't do any work.

If your permie job paymaster is happy that you complete work allocated and you find it easy, there is no issue with you taking on another role. An inside contract is perfect for this. You won't find any clause for hours worked enforced, which by the way is one of the silliest things I've ever read on this forum. Gain evidence you're pleasing your permie employer and maintain this. If you're stupid, do not run two roles at the same time, because you're stupid and will eventually get caught. Getting banned from this forum or from a niche client might be ok, but HR records exist across large companies and definitely across public sector departments. Notes on any clearances exist.

Your priority permie employer sounds fine with your work, so a second role with the same attitude is fine and can be dropped, adhering to notice periods, if that situation changes.

I agree with others about the permetractor comments here regarding owing an employer 40 hours a week. Take life as it is, not as it is written to be. I have never once seen any isolated working clause enforced for anything except executive roles with serious conflict of interest, which I'm sure Edison can comment on.
            I once had a clause in an interim role's draft contract that gave the agency the right to inspect my business premises and records for compliance checks, effectively with no notice. My contract lawyer got that one scrubbed, but other than that, I can't think of that many onerous clauses in the interim roles I've had.

Conflict of interest clauses are quite common but it's probably non-compete clauses that are more prevalent. The government is currently running a consultation on post-contract non-compete clauses - "There is currently no provision in the UK employment statutory framework for non-compete clauses. Under current common law, there are very few constraints on the use of non-compete clauses in employment contracts and our estimates suggest that they are widely used across the labour market, with around 5 million employees subject to a non-compete clause in Great Britain and a typical duration of around 6 months."

Comment

Working...
            X