• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Consultantcy via client changes start date less than 24 hrs notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consultantcy via client changes start date less than 24 hrs notice

I was supposed to start a new gig today through a consultancy at a FI, however I got a call from the Consultancy this morning that the person I'm reporting to needs a week off and they have decided to delay my start for a week (they got notice yesterday (Sunday) from FI manager). The Consultancy have told me they will send me a revised contract with the start date for next week.

Tbh it's been a mess with this Consultancy, they sent me the initial contract (With todays start date) late friday (3 days ago) despite me accepting a month ago.

I've agreed to the contract due to start today but they want to null and void it and send me a revised contract starting next week Monday.

I've never experienced this and am not happy.

Anyone experienced this? Is my contract (start date today) null and void (if they choose to?)? Just looking for insight from others that have came across this.

Firstly the date on the contract is when the contract starts. It doesn't necessarily mean the day you start work. Secondly you are on a T&M contract that means you get paid for the days you work. These don't have to line up with the contract.

If they knew what they were doing they'd know the contract can start right now but they will only offer you work when it suits them. They don't need to issue a new contract really. Some people will say bill for the time as you were available but that's not a great start on day one of a contract and because of the paid when work they are under no obligation to pay it.

So back to the top point. You get paid when they offer you work and you do it so you are going to just have to suck it up and start when they are ready.

It's pretty crap, I get that but it is what it is.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sort of happened to me on my last contract, was due to start on May 2nd 2022, was notified due to team lead holiday this would be delayed a week to 9th although I was given a little bit more notice of a week.. no new contract as not needed, no drama as it meant another week biking :-)

Comment

You're selling and the client is buying a service from you. Worrying about the precise start and end dates is out of your control, so either let them do their thing with the paperwork, turn up when required under the blanket of a mutually agreed contract and keep the client(s) happy, or walk away and find something else. One will earn you money, the other won't.

NLUK is right - you must understand you get paid for days worked, nothing else. Keep that in mind and a lot of these stupidities, generated by people who fail to understand the difference between a contractor and an employee (to whom such issues are more important) will fade away.

BTW I got bounced from a gig once at 15:00 of the Friday before the starting the following Monday, losing quite a bit of cash on booked accommodation and interview expenses. Crap happens, learn to live with it!
        Last edited by malvolio; 25 September 2023, 11:18.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Has happened to me although before the contract was issued and signed. As has been pointed out they don’t actually need to issue a new contract as they could just not pay you for this week, although they might be planning to add the week on at the end.

Probably one of those things although no harm in looking for something else in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

Probably one of those things although no harm in looking for something else in the meantime.
            Better still is they shouldn't have stopped looking until they were logged in and working.

Comment

Happened to me.

In my case it wasn't the consultancy's fault, it was their clients fault as their client didn't send me the equipment on time.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Welcome to contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Better still is they shouldn't have stopped looking until they were logged in and working and first invoice paid correctly!!!!.
                  This ^^ & FTFY. Swings and roundabouts. I once had similar with delayed start and no firm date so went for another interview, bagged it and 5 mins after accepting the other one came in with a start date. They weren't too happy when I said no thanks.
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
                    Welcome to contracting.
                    /thread

Comment

Working...
                    X