• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two contracts concurrently ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post
    What advice you after? Just do it.

(As an aside, what you smoking? 2 PMO contracts 95% remote and totalling £1000/d meaning at least one is £500+ is not rubbish).
    me no burn de high grade weed man

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nMBml1iNvtk

Comment

Originally posted by barely_pointless View Post

me no burn de high grade weed man

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nMBml1iNvtk
      Got ourself a millennial calling £500/d 'rubbish'. We should send him down the mines and teach him a lesson.

Comment

Further to what NLUK said, if you tell your client you're completing your work quickly and therefore are going to take another job to keep yourself occupied then they're well within their rights to trim your pay to the hours worked and then this fabled grand a day isn't going to materialise. If you don't tell them and they subsequently find out then at best you get sacked and at worst they sue you to recover pay for hours not worked.

No-one says it can't be done. It just needs to be done in the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Further to what NLUK said, if you tell your client you're completing your work quickly and therefore are going to take another job to keep yourself occupied then they're well within their rights to trim your pay to the hours worked and then this fabled grand a day isn't going to materialise. If you don't tell them and they subsequently find out then at best you get sacked and at worst they sue you to recover pay for hours not worked.

No chance they would get sued unless it was public sector, who have been known to go criminal rather than civil.

£500/d is £10k a month. That's instantly no longer small claims, so hefty legal costs.

Then add they would need to prove numerous aspects which IME companies cant do. Ive never seen a timessheet system that was used for productivity checking, only financial reporting.

All it would take is an absence of any documentation about performance concerns and there goes any basis for losses. Contract extension? Boom claim dead in the water.

The real crux of this question comes down to whether you think it's immoral or not, which is a personal determination.

Comment

more endless bull over another greedy git

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Assuming they are getting paid for 8hrs a day, two jobs a day are still doable without one affecting the other.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Assuming they are getting paid for 8hrs a day, two jobs a day are still doable without one affecting the other.
                My contracts always state 'professional working day' and doesn't define it, presumably some bright spark thought if they did then it would raise the risk of triggering the overtime provisions. They can't have their cake and eat it too.

Comment

Originally posted by sreed View Post

I'm a generalist tech PM so can kind of see where you're coming from.

I've done 2 outside PM contracts concurrently, BUT both were variable billing every week. Doesn't mean that the days billed added up to 5, it was between 5-8 depending on the hours I put in, what I delivered, etc. Both were fully remote with occasional travel. As it was a variable billing contract, both clients were aware that I wasn't 'exclusive' to them.

I've done one full-time inside and a variable-billing outside contract concurrently, first one hybrid and the second remote. The second client was aware that I am doing other stuff, the first client wasn't. But the inside contract always took priority as that was more 9-5.

Concurrent to all of the above, I also do fixed-price consulting gigs for past clients that I know very well, fully remote, no fixed hours, billing based on stage-wise deliverables written into the contract.

Personally, for a PM kind of role I wouldn't do two inside 9-5 full-time contracts concurrently as I wouldn't be able to manage it on an ongoing basis and I can't imagine either client would be happy if they knew.
                  I've done similar in two concurrent advisory roles, both outside with SOWs and both clients knew about each other. The most I would bill in a week was six days. If someone is going to do 10 days worth of work a week, every week, then I would hazard a guess the clients perhaps don't have a good handle on the scope, deliverables and outcomes.

I personally found it mentally tiring switching between clients during the week. My ideal work pattern would be two clients for two days a week and a day for myself to do other projects and things of interest!

Comment

And closed.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X