• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client putting through SC but new contract in the meantime

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Samskills View Post
    Seems win win but really shafts the SC client who have actually tried to do the right thing for a change.
    really?

Every client I've had that needed SC was happy for me to be in contract, and being paid, whilst waiting for the clearance.
    And they can fast track SC if they pay the vetting agency more money. That gets the timing down to around 2-3 weeks.

So you're not all that to them if they are making you wait 5-6 weeks. They'd have you on board already if they really wanted to keep you. There's likely loads of stuff you could be getting on with that doesn't require SC. Reading documentation for a start.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Depending on the role as well, I've also seen people start "at risk" whilst their SC is pending - although it's unlikely you'll have solo access to production systems in that case. It's down to the security controller, the sensitivity of the project and every's attitude to risk IME
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Read it again. If you don't take the gig, you don't get the clearance and the file will be closed. It's only transferable if you have it and used it in a real role. And, as I said, you personally don't get it anyway, the person in the role does.
        Aw bum. Thought my plan was a bit too good to be true. Well I've got until late October to make a decision but with the extra money, locality, and duration of gig the outside one is the better. I'll park it and see what happens once it comes through thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

really?

Every client I've had that needed SC was happy for me to be in contract, and being paid, whilst waiting for the clearance.
          And they can fast track SC if they pay the vetting agency more money. That gets the timing down to around 2-3 weeks.

So you're not all that to them if they are making you wait 5-6 weeks. They'd have you on board already if they really wanted to keep you. There's likely loads of stuff you could be getting on with that doesn't require SC. Reading documentation for a start.
          This is the first time in many many SC roles I've ever seen them willing to put through. All the others say the usual 'due to urgent requirement valid SC is required'. No SC and the phone goes dead.

Would be good to know that other clients will do it but this is the first time I've seen it in years.

No chance of starting early without it. It's straight in the deep end so start date has to be after clearance has completed.

Comment

Out of interest how long does it take to get SC clearence? and then is it another application for DV?

I have read the sticky but just wondering in the current market what the current timescales are.

Comment

Originally posted by Samskills View Post

I believe that is the theory yes but in practice it clearly isn't. They wouldn't be asking for active SC clearance and allow transfers if that were true, but they do and there appears to be evidence of people on here transferring SC. So, lets assume I'm aware that could happen and that it may also not transfer between police and defence for example but work on the practice that it is possible for someone that has left a role, is on the bench, applied for a new SC gig within the year and it was possible to transfer, which we have evidence has happened.
              It wont transfer between police and defence, as its two difference scheme (police use NPPV not NSV).

Also if you are hoping to get the clearance but not take the role, where do you think the clearance will be transferred from in the future? The team who are putting you through clearance won't continue to hold if if you don't take up the offer.
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Had this earlier this year. Current SC and NPPV3 in place, got approached for a HO role that was interesting so I went for it. HO wouldn't accept a transfer of my current SC (normal practise for them) so said they would put me through a new one.

SC processing took longer than anyone thought (UKSV were seriously backlogged but I think they've cleared things up recently) and the role I was currently on offered me an extension.

Called the agency for the HO role and explained I'd been offered the extension and was taking it - they said they understood but was it ok to keep the HO SC application on the go - I had no problem.

Had a call few months later from the HO agency saying the clearance had come though and was I available? I wasn't, but I've now got a valid HO SC that is useable until next March or April(ish). Plan is to transfer it to my own Ltd company before it expires (I'm a CoreVet sponsor so can hold clearances myself).

My advice: let the SC application run, take the other role. See what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post
                  Had this earlier this year. Current SC and NPPV3 in place, got approached for a HO role that was interesting so I went for it. HO wouldn't accept a transfer of my current SC (normal practise for them) so said they would put me through a new one.

SC processing took longer than anyone thought (UKSV were seriously backlogged but I think they've cleared things up recently) and the role I was currently on offered me an extension.

Called the agency for the HO role and explained I'd been offered the extension and was taking it - they said they understood but was it ok to keep the HO SC application on the go - I had no problem.

Had a call few months later from the HO agency saying the clearance had come though and was I available? I wasn't, but I've now got a valid HO SC that is useable until next March or April(ish). Plan is to transfer it to my own Ltd company before it expires (I'm a CoreVet sponsor so can hold clearances myself).

My advice: let the SC application run, take the other role. See what happens.
                  So hardly the typical scenario then, is it...

Clearly the HO want you specifically and will wait until you are available, and YourCo can hold clearances for itself anyway (assuming you are working on sensitive material of course) which a non-sponsored contractor can't.

Every situation has its outliers. I've gained SC in two weeks and NPPV3 in three before now. Then again I worked out in a near 30 year career as a contractor, I've been through clearance 8 times as well as kicking off a whole CO investigation into the system that resulted in where we are now (i.e well defined but largely ignored!). I'll give advice based on the run of the mill, not the extremes.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                  X