• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you bill for this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd bill. You're turning up every day waiting for the dependency to be unblocked. There's an opportunity cost for you to wait around like that i.e. you could be working on other stuff.

It might get tricky when the client asks you "erm, so what have you done the last X weeks / months?". Is there some documentation / administrative stuff you can do in the meantime to 'prepare' for the dependency to be unblocked?

Ultimately it comes down to the wording in your contract. In my past experience I've always billed when there's been a dependency I'm waiting on. Although it has never taken more than a week to resolve so YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLadFromBeeston666 View Post
      I'd bill. You're turning up every day waiting for the dependency to be unblocked. There's an opportunity cost for you to wait around like that i.e. you could be working on other stuff.
      Where did it say he's turning up? He's billing another client currently anyway so he's not losing money waiting.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Bill for a mixture of being available and carrying out the work. Having multiple gigs whilst reading the state of the market thread solidifies why real business have multiple clients.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Where did it say he's turning up? He's billing another client currently anyway so he's not losing money waiting.
        He's making his services available, isn't he a business? There's a cost to being available...

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
          He's making his services available, isn't he a business? There's a cost to being available...
          He's on a delivery based agreement and there is nothing to deliver. He's signed up for that type of contract so has to bite the bullet. If there was something in the contract that said a certain amount of work needs to be done in a period or minumum charge per month or something maybe but the chosen delivery method has a downside and this is it. We generally talk about no work no pay for the daily brigade, this is similar as in no delivery no pay. Certainly up for negotiation seems it is the clients fault so introducing a retainer could be the way to go but no idea if the client can refuse so late in the delivery.

What will happen in periods of no work to deliver should have been covered in the original agreement when he started but you can be forgiven for not considering this aspect of the delivery method. You'd assume the client has work to do but really should be something in there to cover the contractor should the client not make work available which I guess there isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk
            It will be over shortly, you'll not understand why you got so flustered over it once you are gone and you are going get trash talked by the client whatever you do.
            This is true!

Originally posted by northernladuk
            Excuse me, did you just assume my gender?! It's she..

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard
            Yes, I am currently available all day and replying to messages. I still have some stuff to do, but by next month it's not going to be taking up more than an hour of my time each day.

I think in all honesty, I'll bill for the days I've worked. Can't have it both ways, as people have pointed out, even though the client is a huge pita.
            If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
              Excuse me, did you just assume my gender?! It's she..
              My apologies

Comment

Yes, I am currently available all day and replying to messages. I still have some stuff to do, but by next month it's not going to be taking up more than an hour of my time each day.

I think in all honesty, I'll bill for the days I've worked. Can't have it both ways, as people have pointed out, even though the client is a huge pita.
                Interesting demonstration of how little you value your own time in contrast to their financial resources, even the client being "a huge PITA" incurs a cost in my book - and by your own account they wouldn't have qualms about paying?

Comment

Thought I'd post an update on this that absolutely no-one asked for

Contract 1, the PITA client who wanted me to extend through September on two days a week, I ended up working out how long the additional work would take me (it was eight days or something) and renewed on that basis. Contract runs until 30 September with number of days expected to be billed being eight. All fine. All attempts made by me to get some update on when they would provide the data i needed to complete the work got ignored. They had previously refused a handover. I updated PMO to that effect. None of the eight days were billed. 1st October I get an email from client to my personal account asking for help. Obviously, I can't since my contract expired the previous day and all my previous attempts to resolve had been ignored. Client wasn't chuffed. Don't know what the final outcome was for them.

Contract 2, I continued with this one as normal but have moved on from there too now.

So there you have it. I got stressed about it for absolutely no reason!

If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Thought I'd post an update on this that absolutely no-one asked for

Contract 1, the PITA client who wanted me to extend through September on two days a week, I ended up working out how long the additional work would take me (it was eight days or something) and renewed on that basis. Contract runs until 30 September with number of days expected to be billed being eight. All fine. All attempts made by me to get some update on when they would provide the data i needed to complete the work got ignored. They had previously refused a handover. I updated PMO to that effect. None of the eight days were billed. 1st October I get an email from client to my personal account asking for help. Obviously, I can't since my contract expired the previous day and all my previous attempts to resolve had been ignored. Client wasn't chuffed. Don't know what the final outcome was for them.

Contract 2, I continued with this one as normal but have moved on from there too now.

So there you have it. I got stressed about it for absolutely no reason!
                    Always interesting to hear how situations pan out. We give random advice and rarely hear what the outcome was so don't know if it was good advice or not so nice to see different this time. On the first comment though let me clarify. Its Greenbastards updates no one asks for or cares about, you can update all day long.

Comment

Working...
                    X