• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV - Consultancy or Client?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV - Consultancy or Client?

I assume most of us put the Client down on our CV when through an agency.

What's the SOP for consultancies? Is it as simple as always put the Consultancy down or does it depend on who the Consultancy and Client are, ie which has better name recognition?

The impression I got casualy talking to managers over the years is that Consultancy is a big plus, even had many claim few years at big4 and you can coast for life.

Generally I put

"Client Name on behalf of Consultancy"

or if I did multiple projects, I'll put the consultancy down and split it by customer below

And that makes up most of my CV, to try and get the best of both worlds down. But I do mix and match a bit and basically pick whichever gives the most kudos.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post
      I assume most of us put the Client down on our CV when through an agency.

What's the SOP for consultancies? Is it as simple as always put the Consultancy down or does it depend on who the Consultancy and Client are, ie which has better name recognition?

The impression I got casualy talking to managers over the years is that Consultancy is a big plus, even had many claim few years at big4 and you can coast for life.
      The SOP is to not put client names on an external CV. Source: worked at Deloitte and PwC.

Ignoring SOP (as I often do), I have select client names on my CV from my Big4 days where the client is 'prestigious'.

Tread carefully, don't break NDAs etc.

In regards to coasting, I think someone told you a tall story. Big 4 on your CV will look to some employers/clients in the future but I don't know anyone from my past that doesn't work hard. A good brand name on your CV just gets you through more doors, it doesn't mean you have to do nothing. If anything, sometimes the expectations are even higher if you come from a big brand.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        Generally I put

"Client Name on behalf of Consultancy"

or if I did multiple projects, I'll put the consultancy down and split it by customer below

And that makes up most of my CV, to try and get the best of both worlds down. But I do mix and match a bit and basically pick whichever gives the most kudos.
        This for me as well.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DrewG View Post
          The SOP is to not put client names on an external CV. Source: worked at Deloitte and PwC.
          It is? Since when? Every contractor/employee ever has put their past client/employers down.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

It is? Since when? Every contractor/employee ever has put their past client/employers down.
            Think it depends on the contract. I had a Big4 gig and I don't mention the client, I don't even mention the client in interviews, it's always 'Well known bank' or something like that. Due to the nature of the gig it's either say the client name and be unable to say anything about the role or not say the clients name and speak about the role. It's easier mentally for me to just never say the client.

Whereas now im fielding another role through a consultancy which won't have that kind of sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

Think it depends on the contract. I had a Big4 gig and I don't mention the client, I don't even mention the client in interviews, it's always 'Well known bank' or something like that. Due to the nature of the gig it's either say the client name and be unable to say anything about the role or not say the clients name and speak about the role. It's easier mentally for me to just never say the client.

Whereas now im fielding another role through a consultancy which won't have that kind of sensitivity.
              Not a problem for a vast majority of us never having worked with those and I don't think I'd take them off either. For one the agents can't deal with anything different and missing information is likely to be a blocker to them and I can imagine it would with some clients as well. Why is that information missing, what's going on would be their first throught.

And I can't remember an interview where the client wasn't interested in past clients and would pick one or two to ask what I did there.

I'll take your opinion on this as I don't know but sounds like overkill to me.

Comment

Not a problem for a vast majority of us never having worked with those and I don't think I'd take them off either. For one the agents can't deal with anything different and missing information is likely to be a blocker to them and I can imagine it would with some clients as well. Why is that information missing, what's going on would be their first throught.

And I can't remember an interview where the client wasn't interested in past clients and would pick one or two to ask what I did there.

I'll take your opinion on this as I don't know but sounds like overkill to me.
                I mention the big4, with normal stuff. So there is no gap. I just don't say the client name anywhere. It's active legal/regulatory stuff not pure IT/business.

Bank managers fully understand or at least get an idea when it's FCA/AML/CTF sort of thing.

Comment

He asked what the SOP was for consultancies. I was very clearly told at the big 4 and tier 2 firm that I worked for, that clients are not for external CVs.

I don't know if you've ever worked in the consulting industry for a big name employer, but they all mostly say the same. Outside of NDAs, I don't think it's actively enforced though.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewG View Post

He asked what the SOP was for consultancies. I was very clearly told at the big 4 and tier 2 firm that I worked for, that clients are not for external CVs.

I don't know if you've ever worked in the consulting industry for a big name employer, but they all mostly say the same. Outside of NDAs, I don't think it's actively enforced though.
                    did they also tell you not to put the client on LinkedIn?
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X