• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracted Hours vs Expected

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
    When you say the MD is in charge of your team, how does that work if it's a huge FI? Usually a good few layers of middle management in between before you hit the contractors.
    in every bank I have worked at MDs pretty much only speak to the scum in quarterly briefings and town halls.

Comment

Originally posted by contractoradvice656 View Post
      this one will only be happy if you follow his work pattern.
      Let him be unhappy then. His inability to set reasonable boundaries on his working time has no effect on your ability to set yours.
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

I handed in my 2 weeks notice today.

BTW I just want to clear up, he is NOT MD, he is Director.

He has asked me for feedback but I have declined, he is approving my timesheets so I need this done, but I'm not sure it's even worth me providing feedback on my last day
        Last edited by contractoradvice656; 7 August 2023, 18:38.

Comment

I handed in my 2 weeks notice today.
          Congratulations.

He has asked me for feedback but I have declined
          Too late for feedback anyway, although this sounds like something from the permie HR world, not applicable to contractors.

Comment

I'm not sure it's even worth me providing feedback on my last day
            Well done for getting out of there. Was he asking for verbal or written feedback? Based on the description you've given so far, I doubt it would make any difference.

Comment

I think you have done the right thing.

As for feedback the contractors who started before you should have nipped this in the bud so I have limited sympathy for them.

Comment

He wants verbal feedback, but I'm not going to bother as it will turn in verbal back and forth, he had a dig at me when I gave him my notice.

It's my fault tbh because I should've paid attention to the red flags, but honestly I needed something to tie me over the summer. On my first day when we sat down and spoke of expectations, then out of the blue he said 'I'm not going to lie, we've had 100% turnover with contractors'

Comment

He wants verbal feedback, but I'm not going to bother as it will turn in verbal back and forth, he had a dig at me when I gave him my notice.
                  Correct. Tell him personal reasons and time to move on and leave it at that.
                  It's my fault tbh because I should've paid attention to the red flags, but honestly I needed something to tie me over the summer. On my first day when we sat down and spoke of expectations, then out of the blue he said 'I'm not going to lie, we've had 100% turnover with contractors'
                  Every company has 100% turnover with contractors. Every contract ends. It's the way we work.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 8 August 2023, 10:52.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

'I'm not going to lie, we've had 100% turnover with contractors'
                    Not good. Had a few friends (permie) work under someone like that for a couple of years, and it nearly destroyed them both physically and mentally. Management thought he was an absolute star though.

Comment

Plus, you've got something out of the experience now - when you start the next contract, you know to work the gig the way you want to from day 1.

Sod the other contractors dragging each other down - you're your own person.
                      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X