• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracted Hours vs Expected

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    Explain this to the MD and work your contracted hours until something is said.
    ^^ This. But with the clarification that this is until the [ contract | rate ] is updated to reflect any additional hours. You're not a charity.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You've started in a toxic work environment .
      Definitely.
      For the MD to state the working hours as 2-4 extra a day, on your first day is a massive red flag. It's the equivalent of saying 'You're a POS, I pay you, I control you. You do what I say.'

I would run away.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post

Definitely.
        For the MD to state the working hours as 2-4 extra a day, on your first day is a massive red flag. It's the equivalent of saying 'You're a POS, I pay you, I control you. You do what I say.'

I would run away.
        Having been a permie at a bank notorious for long hours so would I.

The thing these firms make it pretty clear that hard work/long hours are both expected and rewarded. That is not the case if you are on a day rate.

Comment

Originally posted by contractoradvice656 View Post
          Started a new (inside) contract on Monday, the MD I’m reporting to has stated on the 1st day ‘our working hours are x to x’, which amount to 10hrs (work hrs) over my contracted hours, on top of this ‘there’s an expectation’ to come in early & ‘we like to all leave together’ which is +2-4 hours per day (on top of the ‘our working hours’), so that brings things upto roughly 10-30hrs above my contracted (weekly) hours. The one other contractor who is there is doing the excessive hours out of fear of not fitting in/losing his contract.
          I spoke to the recruitment agency, they said they’d have to speak to the Hiring Manager, but I don’t want to ruffle feathers.

1. Can anyone advise what I can do? Besides ‘work the hours or quit’?

2. if you’ve been in the situation can you share your experience & what you did?
          Are you via a brolly? If so, your first port of call should be them - they have obligations to workers as employees which include stating in your employment contract what the expected working hours will be. Uou can contact them informally and get their feedback, if dissatisfied you can raise a grievance. I suspect you'd have a case for unfair dismissal even if you chose to walk.
          Chief Executive, FCSA
          - Former CEO OF IPSE
          - LtdCo Contractor for 20 odd years before that
          - Former Chair of IPSE nee PCG

Comment

It really depends on your personal circumstances and state of market for your skills. If it was beneficial to me working long hours (lots to learn) then I wouldn't mind but I would rather make it my personal choice.
            I had a situation like yours where it was suggested to me that people work hard and long hours. I kept working my hours and they didn't fire me but they also didn't extend my contract.
            You have to look at the environment and the reason why people work long hours. In many cases they don't work long hours but they stay in the office longer than normal to make the boss happy, even though their efficiency is below what you could do in 8hrs.
            Same for the other contractor, we don't know how big his mortgage is and how long he fought to get the role.

Comment

I would work my hours and no more then wait for someone to come and get rid of me. Permanent staff are in an arms race for bonuses and promotions, you aren't.

Comment

I've been told this kind of BS on the first day as well. He's just trying it on. Ignore it, if they actually want to send you home because of this then winner winner chicken dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Bryce View Post
                  I suspect you'd have a case for unfair dismissal even if you chose to walk.

Yes I'm sure you would.....

And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

I have had situations in the passed where a director started demanding that I attend company all hands meetings and other stuff I should not have done as a contractor.

I explained that I could not do those things as that would make me part and parcel of the company and would therefore void my insurance. He did not know enough about it to argue.

I guess that may be an angle you can play but it sounds like you would be better off just leaving.
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                      I have had situations in the passed where a director started demanding that I attend company all hands meetings and other stuff I should not have done as a contractor.

I explained that I could not do those things as that would make me part and parcel of the company and would therefore void my insurance. He did not know enough about it to argue.

I guess that may be an angle you can play but it sounds like you would be better off just leaving.
                      Unfortunately Legal & General do not allow me to work past 5pm, 4pm on Friday, nothing I can do, Bossman.

Comment

Working...
                      X